How to choose a new camera.

tim.bennett

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So how do you go about choosing which camera to buy?

I'm looking at going a different way after a 5 year stint with MFT and Canon DSLRs before that.

Moving to MFT and analog also moved me from zoom to prime. I'm still in 1000 minds about what to do. It feels like such a big decision. It's not just a camera but also the system i'm buying into.

I've got a bit of a shortlist which is nice and eclectic and has come from reading reviews and looking at what i currently do and what i'm currently missing.

How do you go about choosing a camera/system/way of life???

I read some reviews, compared features, and made my decision. One factor that played a significant role was my budget, or at lest my comfort level of purchase price. Once I decided on the level of equipment, I looked around for the best price. I made my purchase and I didn't look back.

What is it about your current gear that isn't meeting your needs? What gear does meet those needs? Buy that gear. Problem solved. <Lucy Van Pelt voice> Five cents please! </Lucy Van Pelt voice>.

As tirediron said.
It really get easy as soon as you stop thinking about brands and specs and just go for something that does the job and won't cost you an arm and a leg.

I would look at the focal lengths you use most. That would probably determine the first new lens you get.
Then or body, see what you like or dont like about the images you already have, and what you can do to improve them - low light, dynamic range, faster focusing, etc etc .. then find a camera that has what you need, fits your budget, and that you can grow with.

You look at what you shoot and you buy the camera and lenses and other accessories that meet those needs. What is difficult about it?

So you tried Canon and MFT so now its time to get the real deal, get a Nikon Full Frame camera.
Nikon D810 or D750 or D610, add nice fast glass and you will be a happy camper.

Get yourself a film Leica and you will never look back, don't buy a boring ugly Nikon

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I'm currently reading the reviews and testing some bodies in shops when i get the chance.

Factors I'm considering:
  • Size and weight(When shooting canon i had some hefty lenses but would go for primes now)
  • Flexibility ( I got MFT to focus on street photography but do find it limiting for other uses )
  • Auto focus speed. (current lens is a little slow on quite an early MFT camera)
  • Budget Happy to spend a bit D610/D750, Sony A7ii, Olympus OM-D1 ii all made the shortlist.
  • Lenses (I have 2 lenses MFT 20mm f/1,7 and a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D AF I want a 50mm equivalent for a 28mm equivalent for and 85mm)
  • System (Is the system currently complete enough and do i like the offerings Sony as an example is quite limited and relatively expensive)
No one camera+system wins on all factors which is why i don't think it's that easy. Don't have any brand bias that I am consciously aware of.

So far I have held the D750 and A7 loved the size of the a7 but prefered the ergonomics of the D750. With the 50mm f/1.8 the weight difference is 120 grams.

Maybe i'm thinking about it too much... Seems others buy the camera they feel suits and then don't look back.

So how do you go about choosing which camera to buy?

I'm looking at going a different way after a 5 year stint with MFT and Canon DSLRs before that.

Moving to MFT and analog also moved me from zoom to prime. I'm still in 1000 minds about what to do. It feels like such a big decision. It's not just a camera but also the system i'm buying into.

I've got a bit of a shortlist which is nice and eclectic and has come from reading reviews and looking at what i currently do and what i'm currently missing.

How do you go about choosing a camera/system/way of life???
My current decision to get the D810 was made 12 years ago when I borrowed my brother's Nikon F80. It was always about keeping the same accessories and having continuity.

My decision to get the TG4 was based on macro needs and waterproof for my vacations.

My next camera Nikon DL24-85 is based on Nikon giving me better deals than Sony.

Analog ? As in chemical film ? Thats a pretty complicated field to get into, considering how many different options are available, how unsure it is to get these, etc.

Well I would look into what you're shooting and then checking what is needed, and looking into if the system examined even offers a good solution for this problem.

Then theres considerations like operation speed, resolution etc, depending upon the application.

How do you go about choosing a camera/system/way of life ???
IIRC it took me like half a year before I descided to go Nikon. Unfortunately in the beginning APS-C; it took me 3/4 year to descide I wanted full frame, not APS-C, and really wanted to get everything again.

It took me 1.5 years to descide what macro lens I wanted. I ended up with the Zeiss Makro-Planar 100mm which is hella expensive but built like a tank, optically probably the best of them all, and a pretty good choice for portraits thanks to f/2 and smooth bokeh, too.

So yeah, desciding things takes me a lot of researching, sleeping it over, etc. The final descision for the Makro-Planar came actually when seeing a good offer for this thing in the internet.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back