How to create inspirational and creative photos

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful answers to my OP question. My answer? Hmmm. Not sure. I know I don't plan my shots. Sure I go out to look around. Or sometimes just run into a situation. But what happens is that a scene catches my attention in some way. Nice lighting, interesting subject. I then try to frame it in the best way I can hopefully taking my time to get it "right". Sometimes, things just work - I get lucky. Well, thanks again. Alan.

That basically is it. The difference between us and non photographing people is we look at every piece of surroundings as potential photo op. :D

Forcing a look, especially one hinged around post-processing,
Seems to me, that this is the rage of our times. (With all the consequences :D.)

The person who is the 200th best tennis player in the world does not worry about how the masses of crappy tennis players play or how they use their equipment. He tries only to get better.
Why should any of us worry or care about anything but being better?
Yup.

If your process is not working for you, perhaps it is time to change it.

I don't think that any of us really believe that we can intentionally create an iconic photo that will be meaningful to everyone throughout the ages.
What I hope for is to hone first my technical skills and then my introspection so when I see something that is meaningful to me, I can recognize the important elements that compose it and capture and display it in a way that shows how I felt when I saw it.

I had an acquaintance who was skillful using a dslr but his pictures, for all the technical perfection, were empty and forgettable. He wrongly thought he was being failed by technology so he switched to medium format and film, then 4 x 5 and eventually 8 x 10 film which he had digitized with a flying spot scanner. All that work filled up his life and he persevered but the reality was that his pictures were empty because he was; he thought good meaningful pictures were always a lucky chance and he spent his time chasing something that could be best found within.

The unfortunate reality is that after skills, which are difficult enough to attain, there is creativity and talent. Those can be developed but the seed must be there.
Yeah but there is millions of photos done with creativity and talent. They ain't worth nothn. LOL

iconic... if I could only dare with to find one. Could very well be **** luck.

Yeah but there is millions of photos done with creativity and talent. They ain't worth nothn. LOL

iconic... if I could only dare with to find one. Could very well be **** luck.

that's an interesting but completely unsupported statement.
your mistake is to think that taking great pictures consistently is luck.
the more skillful and talented and creative someone is, the luckier they seem.

Equipment, methods and craft only get you so far. How do you try to get to the next step of creating meaningful, inspirational and creative photos?

Most of the time I shoot what I'll call "eye candy", a sort of reportage/travel photography mix. I don't care if it says anything to you as long as it looks good. It is edited parts of my view of the world.

As someone already expressed, equipment, methods and craft may only get you so far but you need them to be able to take advantage of a scene before you or to construct the scene of your choosing and record it. Depending upon what you view as a creative, meaningful and inspirational photos, you may need luck, something to say, or both.

Nick Ut's Napalm Girl (AP napalm girl photo from Vietnam War turns 40) was taken in a second. He got the photo and others didn't because he was the one who still had film in his camera. A crop from the frame is the usual version seen. He was in the right place, at the right time, with the gear and knowledge to be able to take the photo when events provided the scene. I don't know if you consider it creative but it inspired a change in the way Americans viewed the war and it certainly was important/meaningful.

It is said that Ansel Adams was driving past the church when he saw Moonrise Hernandez (ANSEL ADAMS: Classic Images - Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico), and he stopped, couldn't find his light meter and had to estimate the exposure. I don't find it meaningful, inspirational or creative, but it is considered a great photo. To get a good print took a lot of creativity in the darkroom.

When writing software, usually I decide what the end result should be, then work backwards to determine what must be input and what algorithms are required to deliver the desired result. The same method would probably work for a photo if you were going to create it instead of watching until you see it.

Forcing a look, especially one hinged around post-processing,
Seems to me, that this is the rage of our times. (With all the consequences :D.)

The person who is the 200th best tennis player in the world does not worry about how the masses of crappy tennis players play or how they use their equipment. He tries only to get better.

I think part of it is covered in the question, "What constitutes 'getting better?'" Everybody has a different answer to this question, but in my eyes getting better constitutes getting recognition from my peers and just viewers in general. That may be a shallow view of improvement, but I cannot create photographs in a vacuum. I don't want to. Some people (like Vivian Maier) can take photos and be content with never showing them to anyone.

But when you want to share them and display them, then you're subject to the current trends and tastes of the public. That's why I find it relevant to study these trends and pay attention to them, not necessarily to copy them or "sell out" to them, but simply to keep a level head with the recognition that I can expect with my photos.

It might be a very cynical view, but it also keeps me from taking disingenuous photos that might - or might not - gain popularity, but mean little to me. At least I think that's a benefit...I don't know. It seems like creativity can be cultivated to an extent, but sometimes people have natural creative inclinations that align with what people want to see. And it makes me wonder if I lack that sort of inherent or learned creativity that allows me to capture the emotions and curiosity of viewers.

Art is so f***ing enigmatic and it pisses me off.

I think part of it is covered in the question, "What constitutes 'getting better?'" Everybody has a different answer to this question, but in my eyes getting better constitutes getting recognition from my peers and just viewers in general. That may be a shallow view of improvement, but I cannot create photographs in a vacuum. I don't want to. Some people (like Vivian Maier) can take photos and be content with never showing them to anyone.

But when you want to share them and display them, then you're subject to the current trends and tastes of the public. That's why I find it relevant to study these trends and pay attention to them, not necessarily to copy them or "sell out" to them, but simply to keep a level head with the recognition that I can expect with my photos.

It might be a very cynical view, but it also keeps me from taking disingenuous photos that might - or might not - gain popularity, but mean little to me. At least I think that's a benefit...I don't know. It seems like creativity can be cultivated to an extent, but sometimes people have natural creative inclinations that align with what people want to see. And it makes me wonder if I lack that sort of inherent or learned creativity that allows me to capture the emotions and curiosity of viewers.

hmm. dunno.

I was going somewhere the other day and my wife commented I needed to comb my hair, change my shirt to something more appropriate (I had paint and car grease on my shirt) and as usual I was wearing my sandals in which she preferred I look more presentable. I changed the shirt, as I saw the necessity of that. About it. Stopped at a store, I was counting out pennies. Girl at the cash register kind of gave me a annoyed look but hell, the pennies have to go somewhere. I walk in the bank and the tellers say hi to me (they know me by name plus I might stand out because I always ask for a free pen) and punch up one of my accounts so I can do a withdrawal. I have been moving a lot of funds and if you saw how I dressed and how I looked and how I was just counting out pennies one would never guess how much money I had in that account.

Point being, I stopped caring what others thought many years ago (if I ever really did to start with) life is full of other things more concerning. Kind of like my front lawn. I hardly ever mow my front lawn. IT really doesn't phase me. It seems to phase the neighbors so I figure if they are that concerned about it maybe they should mow it. usually my wife breaks down and mows it actually. Reminds me of a couple years back I was cutting down trees out back and drinking a beer and had to get one of my kids off the bus at the bus stop. so I walk down the bus stop and get my kid and walk back. Didn't even occur to me I had a beer in my hand. someone reports me for getting my kid off the bus with a beer. I get hell for it being "inappropriate" and a potential violation of bus company policy (yeah whatever). If figure I support the kids, they have everything they need and then some. I help them with their homework (I am actually a fairly strict parent too). screw the people. wife gives me a ration of chit about it too but really. There comes a time when you have to really decide what is important to you far as what others think.

Last edited:

hmm. dunno.

I was going somewhere the other day and my wife commented I needed to comb my hair, change my shirt to something more appropriate (I had paint and car grease on my shirt) and as usual I was wearing my sandals in which she preferred I look more presentable. I changed the shirt, as I saw the necessity of that. About it. Stopped at a store, I was counting out pennies. Girl at the cash register kind of gave me a annoyed look but hell, the pennies have to go somewhere. I walk in the bank and the tellers say hi to me (they know me by name plus I might stand out because I always ask for a free pen) and punch up one of my accounts so I can do a withdrawal. I have been moving a lot of funds and if you saw how I dressed and how I looked and how I was just counting out pennies one would never guess how much money I had in that account.

Point being, I stopped caring what others thought many years ago (if I ever really did to start with) life is full of other things more concerning. Kind of like my front lawn. I hardly ever mow my front lawn. IT really doesn't phase me. It seems to phase the neighbors so I figure if they are that concerned about it maybe they should mow it. usually my wife breaks down and mows it actually. Reminds me of a couple years back I was cutting down trees out back and drinking a beer and had to get one of my kids off the bus at the bus stop. so I walk down the bus stop and get my kid and walk back. Didn't even occur to me I had a beer in my hand. someone reports me for getting my kid off the bus with a beer. I get hell for it being "inappropriate" and a potential violation of bus company policy (yeah whatever). If figure I support the kids, they have everything they need and then some. I help them with their homework (I am actually a fairly strict parent too). screw the people. wife gives me a ration of chit about it too but really. There comes a time when you have to really decide what is important to you far as what others think.

Yeah, I understand the point of not caring. It makes things much more simple and stress-free.

At the same time, however, in terms of photography, it seems like a chicken-egg argument. Are photographers successful because they don't care what people think, or do photographers begin to not care once they're already successful?

I ask this, because the people who always talk about not caring are those already at the top. And it makes me wonder if they don't have to care, because their photos are already what the public/clients want to see. Their own inherent "vision" or whatever is something that aligns with the interest of their contemporaries.

Of course, this all assumption and speculation.

I am very glad to have found this thread, I've read it through three times and have copied several of the replies. Recently retired I have picked up the camera again.
I stil have my film camera and lenses, OM1. Last year I purchased a dslr and have attached a bag to my bike. Right now I mostly ride through corn country, trying to find ways to make my photos more interesting.
Creativity has never been a strong point for me, but I continue to try. Trying to make an old barn or a fallen tree seem to be alive. TY you for your discussion!

If the answer was straightforward and easy ever one would be doing it. To start on the path though I increasingly think that you have to treat photography as a medium and explore what you can do with it.

A lot of artists don't work with the same constraints photographers put on themselves and that allows them to think more freely and get creative. As photographers we tend to learn so much about the technical side I think that a lot of us get so caught up in it and can't climb out the other side.

There's also nothing wrong with creating a pretty picture to hang on the wall. That's art too.

It depends on the meaning I want to convey, the kind of inspiration I want to foment, and what feels right creatively.
Though I pretty much leave meaning up to whoever is looking at a photo I have made.

I felt I was in a creative slump.
While on a trip to Walmart I cruised through the art supplies section and bought a sketching pad with the intend to do some sketching.
A couple of weeks later the sketch pad was still setting around untouched when a different, and photography based, idea popped into my head.

PadBArtSquare8-3-10D300A_0009.jpg

For inspiration I did a series that used text (quotes) and incense smoke.

InspirationD300b12-7-10Smoke3_0036copy.jpg

You can be taught composition. You can be taught exposure. You can be taught all the rules of photography. You cannot be taught creativity or inspiration. Those elements come from within. You can bring those elements into play, you can enhance them and feed them and even exploit them ... by shooting. Shoot, shoot some more and at the end of the day when you think you're done shooting ... shoot again.

Gary

PS- Don't shoot just to shoot, shoot with some thought behind the camera, shoot to an expectation.
G

Most reactions

Back