How to critique a photograph

When I was involved with the National Association of Photographic Art which included both top enthusiasts and pros, ...

Let me repeat something I posted: "The TPF isn't school.... if it was, I wouldn't be here. "

Let me repeat something else I posted: " I believe the thing that drives things forward is thinking out of the box beyond what was taught in school."

Both still apply to your response and clearly the groups you mention are pushing the envelope beyond their academics as well as working outside the box. Furthering my point.

I would surmise that the many members of this forum could care less about credentials... they view photos with their hearts (not academic minds) and CC accordingly. As someone already mentioned, many of the most influential and top artists in history did not study art. I would also surmise that a good percentage of fine art majors don't climb to success.

A layman can look at any product, such as a vehicle, and make assessments on its success as a product; does it look nice, does it function, does it carry innovation and creativity? A layman can do so without an PHD in automotive design. It is no different that photo critique.

Creativity and art have no boundaries nor rules.

BUT.. I do reiterate that being polite is the key.

Until you are on a a top level judging panel looking at artistic photographs you will NOT realize how much consensus there is on top quality photographs. That kind of consensus would NOT be present, if the process was completely subjective.

Ah so...

You have to be a top level judging panel member to look and judge a photo? Sounds like you just nailed one thing... the snobbish attitude that so many complain about.

Perhaps the TPF is not the forum you are expecting...

When I was involved with the National Association of Photographic Art which included both top enthusiasts and pros, there was lots of experimentation and some great creative work and the work with the greatest effectiveness and visual impact that won top prizes still fell within many of the parameters of composition and technique that I have previously mentioned. Moreover some prize winners had no trouble whatsoever moving on to other art venues such as gallery showings and being published in Photo Art magazines. In other words the same criteria applied.

That is not a logical conclusion - it only means that the photographs in question satisfied the criteria of both the competition judges and the particular galleries and 'Photo Art' magazines. It doesn't mean that the same criteria were applied by all.

My own experience is that my competition-winning work (what I call my 'pretty pictures' - easily assimilated, obviously attractive images) is not usually the same as my work which sells the most, which wins me good jobs or which gets critical acclaim (my work that generally requires more effort from the viewer). My experience is that different criteria apply.

Just out of interest, what magazines are you referring to?

Best,
Helen

Question, if I may...

Are you guys debating the truth of what skieur is saying?

Or are you debating the merit of that particular approach?

I'm not debating what skieur says about the criteria used for judging photo club competitions and the like, I'm debating the truth of the claim that the same criteria are universally applicable for all valuable critique.

I also disagree with skieur about the merit of the approach and his claims that those who do not agree with him are suffering from self-delusion, but that is simply a matter of opinion.

Best,
Helen

I was a little intemperate and over the top in my prior post. I apologize.

This thread is an excellent example of why I believe, in all except the most novice of cases, open critique on the internet is a total waste of time.

This thread is an excellent example of why I believe, in all except the most novice of cases, open critique on the internet is a total waste of time.

7.gif
7.gif

Nice capture.

LOL :lol:

Question, if I may...

Are you guys debating the truth of what skieur is saying?

Or are you debating the merit of that particular approach?

I'm personally saying that the premise he's basing his opinions on are not only false and borderline ludicrous but completely and totally impossible. No offense to him or anyone intended tho. Everyone including myself, has brain-farts from time to time. ;)

According to his last post regular humans become super-human when they're invited onto a panel. Like they lose everything that makes them a thinking caring human being capable of recognizing art and beauty and just apply some "magical rules" in some error free perfect state of consciousness. Hehehe... Some one invite me onto a panel quick! I wanna be God (with a capitol "G") and obtain this level of perfect pure thought and state of being. :D :lmao:

I was a little intemperate and over the top in my prior post. I apologize.

I didn't notice anything... Anyway.. it's all good!

Heated debates can be fun IMHO.

LOL :lol:

I'm personally saying that the premise he's basing his opinions on are not only false and borderline ludicrous but completely and totally impossible. No offense to him or anyone intended tho. Everyone including myself, has brain-farts from time to time. ;)

According to his last post regular humans become super-human when they're invited onto a panel. Like they lose everything that makes them a thinking caring human being capable of recognizing art and beauty and just apply some "magical rules" in some error free perfect state of consciousness. Hehehe... Some one invite me onto a panel quick! I wanna be God (with a capitol "G") and obtain this level of perfect pure thought and state of being. :D :lmao:

Quit the blathering characterizations which are getting silly and explain in straight clear English what is blatantly wrong, "ludicrous" whatever in using simple criteria in technique and composition to evaluate photos. I assure you it is being done widely in all types of venus, artistic and commercial. Keep to the point and stop going off the wall, if that is even possible, given the above.

No wonder, straight CLEAR, UNAMBIGUOUS Language is a REQUIREMENT in high level critique and the evaluation of photographs.

skieur

Of course it is, because few of you KNOW HOW TO DO IT!

skieur

Some one invite me onto a panel quick! I wanna be God (with a capitol "G") and obtain this level of perfect pure thought and state of being. :D :lmao:

You're already God in my book, baybeeeee.... ;)

*leaves a polite note that there are people starving without critique - especially in nature - and could the panel here move location ;)*

Most reactions

New Topics

Back