How to date original picture?

Shutterpug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a photograph that the seller claims is from the 1950s and I was wondering how I could be sure it was original and not just a reprint.

Of course the original negative could have been printed out many times back in the 50's or any time after that if the negative is still around.

I am looking at the back of a print of mine from 1974 and it has a stamp that says Print Made by Kodak July 740. I think the type of paper and any stamp or wording on the back by the paper manufacturer could help place the date of the paper that was used.

Lack of printing on the back can help as well. If there is none, it was not printed on a 'modern' automated lab so more likely to be from the 50s (or by an enthusiast later).

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Im not worried about it being a duplicate. The photograph was originally a commercial photograph so it definitely was a copy but it's the original era that I want to be sure of. I want to make sure it's from the 1950s and not just something some guy printed out in his garage.

Also I know that books enter public domain after so many years. Is it the same for photographs?

U.S. Copyright Office

It's the same for books, pictures, and other intellectual property.
Copyright for most goes back 95 years, to 1922.

https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ15a.pdf
Automatic Extension for Works in Renewal Term
Works originally copyrighted after 1922 and renewed before 1978. These works were automatically given a longer copyright term. Copyrights that had already been renewed and were in their second term at any time between December 31, 1976, and December 31, 1977, inclusive, do not need to be renewed again. They have been automatically extended to last for a total term of 95 years (a first term of 28 years plus a renewal term of 67 years) from the end of the year in which they were originally secured
Copyright renewal - Wikipedia

Current copyright lasts for the life of the author (creator) plus 70 years. So the copyright of a work made by a 20 year old that lives to be 70 lasts for a total of 120 years, unless they change copyright law during the 120 years.
Copyright Term Extension Act - Wikipedia

How Long Does Copyright Protection Last? (FAQ) | U.S. Copyright Office
Copyright Act of 1909 - Wikipedia
Copyright Act of 1976 - Wikipedia
Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia

International
Berne Convention - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back