How to deal with a "back seat" photographer

Well, you're paying for internet service - I don't know how important that is to you. Do you have cable? Premium channels? What about your cell phone plan, do you have more minutes than you need? What's the deductible on your auto insurance (low is always better, but sometimes it might be worth it to have a higher deductible and pay smaller premiums)? There are always things you can cut back on...

Sometimes you just have to decide which is a higher priority. Which is more important - taking pictures, or watching a movie on HBO (just an example, you get my point)?

If you decide that (film) photography is a low priority, just accept it and move on. If it's not the lowest priority, find a way to make it happen.

Furthermore, read this:

How to Afford Anything

Well once again, a purely innocent post is turning into an argumentative debate. I really don't care to discuss my finances with the world - I know what we can and can't afford - we weren't born with silver spoons in our mouths. We have only basic cable! We have dial up internet service, which right now may become history to pay other bills - and since I was diagnosed with cancer last year there are a lot of medical bills because we can't afford health insurance either ---- I guess I could always stop treatment to pay for something as "important" as film developing!

As of now this thread is done for me, I will not enagage in this type of discussion. I simply wanted to know if anyone else had to deal with people telling them what to shoot and how they handled it, thats all. If YOU can afford scanners and film developing - more power to you! Enjoy it while you can!

Well once again, a purely innocent post is turning into an argumentative debate. I really don't care to discuss my finances with the world - I know what we can and can't afford - we weren't born with silver spoons in our mouths. We have only basic cable! We have dial up internet service, which right now may become history to pay other bills - and since I was diagnosed with cancer last year there are a lot of medical bills because we can't afford health insurance either ---- I guess I could always stop treatment to pay for something as "important" as film developing!

As of now this thread is done for me, I will not enagage in this type of discussion. I simply wanted to know if anyone else had to deal with people telling them what to shoot and how they handled it, thats all. If YOU can afford scanners and film developing - more power to you! Enjoy it while you can!

I'm sorry to hear about the cancer element, but it's not the film processing thing that is important here, it's enjoying the time you spend with your husband that is. If you are not enjoying your photographic outings it defeats the purpose.

Since you brought up the finance element to counter the suggestions provided, I'll give you mine. I live in New York State, making $2.30 an hour at a job that does not provide Medical Insurance. I understand the medical bills associated with cancer, I'm still getting my fathers, and he passed away in 2003. Despite all that I still shoot film, not only that but I have bought every peice of equipment that my GF owns so we can spend our time together doing something we enjoy.

To put it rather bluntly, I am rather offended that you are using cancer as an excuse to tolerate that which asked us how to bring peacefully to an end so you could enjoy the time you have.

Most reactions

Back