How to deal with critique

Hey, don't let one bad experience stop you from posting. Heck, if that was the case, I would have taken up knitting for a hobby long ago

Oh look….this threads still here.
I was thinking about your "thick skin comments" which I do agree with. That said, I had a c&c requested (a couple years back) and there were comments directed at the model. "Wow! Too young!" "I better wipe my cookies" "I'm afraid the FBI may knock down the door due to the age of this girl". She is my niece, 18 and she is youthful looking. I don't think that was a case where I needed "thick skin". I took that to be a fun pile from members here. I don't think there was a need to judge the age because that isn't a controllable part of the photograph. For me that ruined the helpful c&c that was given and I have since stopped posting any images up at all.

Maybe you forgot this is a public internet forum. That said, it doesn't matter what your content was. People will post anything they want. From sarcasm to racism. By posting on a public internet forum (like this one) you subject yourself to that. GET THICK SKIN!

You can post what you want, and maybe for a short time until its moderated, they can post what they want.

Oh yeah, one last thing. You don't have to agree with me. I won't be upset.

Last edited:
@Eric, I started to write out a response but I know the response from you would still have been to "get thicker skin", lol, so... I'll agree with you that I guess my skin isn't thick enough and just continue on my merry way. ;)

@Eric, I started to write out a response but I know the response from you would still have been to "get thicker skin", lol, so... I'll agree with you that I guess my skin isn't thick enough and just continue on my merry way. ;)

lol, You're probably right about my response. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck with that response, but I deal in reality. You just can't control peoples free will and you have to take what's valuable to you out of peoples responses. If not…..well, you know. I hope you had a Merry Christmas (if you celebrate it) and have a great New Year.

Maybe you forgot this is a public internet forum.

Really? Huh. Can we double check that because it sounds like some sort of crazy conspiracy theory.. lol

That said, it doesn't matter what your content was. People will post anything they want. From sarcasm to racism. By posting on a public internet forum (like this one) you subject yourself to that. GET THICK SKIN!

You can post what you want, and maybe for a short time until its moderated, they can post what they want.

Oh yeah, one last thing. You don't have to agree with me. I won't be upset.

Well I don't expect much civility from a certain segment of the internet population, that's for certain.

Hey, don't let one bad experience stop you from posting. Heck, if that was the case, I would have taken up knitting for a hobby long ago

I heard there's a pretty rowdy crowd in the knitting forums. ;)

Well considering that most of them are over there learning how to knit shiv cozies.. um.. ya. Not the sort of folks you probably want to mess with.. lol

Well considering that most of them are over there learning how to knit shiv cozies.. um.. ya. Not the sort of folks you probably want to mess with.. lol

lol, Shiv cozies…..I'll have to remember that.

lol, You're probably right about my response. I'm not trying to be a smart aleck with that response, but I deal in reality. You just can't control peoples free will and you have to take what's valuable to you out of peoples responses. If not…..well, you know. I hope you had a Merry Christmas (if you celebrate it) and have a great New Year.

I get what your'e saying and 100% agree with your above sentences. I was shook over certain members whose opinion I valued and have nothing more than age slams about my image and no valuable critique. I hid in the background of TPF for months just reading people's C&C to see who had valuable critique and when I finally stepped out, those well known members slapped me like a ***** about age and gave little to no critique. Lol! Age isn't something I could control and some of it was coming from the members who I had come to trust and respect. From that, it made me wonder how or why should I listen to anyone here on the interwebz. If that's the case then why take any of it seriously? From that point on I have really only been here to give my honest opinion on photos that others make.
Merry Christmas to you too and thank you for your service!

. People will post anything they want. From sarcasm to racism.

No, no they can't.
This is a privately run forum with rules, admin and moderators. Anyone who wants to try racism or such can have a go - and then they can have a long break from the site for doing so.

@ shefjr: I think you tripped across an emotional trigger. Hard to know in advance where those triggers are located. If the reaction has little to do with the specific image, and more with the associations invoked by the image, then you've found a trigger. In general trolls love triggers, as they can use them to make people do irrational things. Recognize them for what they are, and remind yourself that rationality went out the window when the trigger was activated.

. People will post anything they want. From sarcasm to racism.

No, no they can't.
This is a privately run forum with rules, admin and moderators. Anyone who wants to try racism or such can have a go - and then they can have a long break from the site for doing so.

Please quote the entire post and you'll see that I covered that.

And just because someone has to approve your membership doesn't make it a "private" forum. It's the internet.

Last edited:
@ shefjr: I think you tripped across an emotional trigger. Hard to know in advance where those triggers are located. If the reaction has little to do with the specific image, and more with the associations invoked by the image, then you've found a trigger. In general trolls love triggers, as they can use them to make people do irrational things. Recognize them for what they are, and remind yourself that rationality went out the window when the trigger was activated.

Well either that or you could spend a period of quiet introspection followed by the ritualistic removal of their spleen with a rusty fork. You know, just as an alternative suggestion.. lol

Yep, right there with you. I think my time in this site is done. Fstoppers has been a lot more educational for me and I've made leaps and bounds of improvement from the advice given by the professionals there, as well as from my personal mentors recently. Whereas here I feel boxed in and completely limited. I'm done posting here; I think it's time to reach higher than public forum and work harder to reach my own goals.

Last edited:
I'm done posting here; I think it's time to reach higher than public forum and work harder to reach my own goals.

I'm always sorry to see someone talented leave. There are a lot of photography groups, online and off, and they all have their shortcomings, like anything else. However, all of them also have some worthwhile aspects. I hope you at least come back and visit.

I was shook over certain members whose opinion I valued and have nothing more than age slams about my image and no valuable critique. I hid in the background of TPF for months just reading people's C&C to see who had valuable critique and when I finally stepped out, those well known members slapped me like a ***** about age and gave little to no critique.

Lol! Age isn't something I could control and some of it was coming from the members who I had come to trust and respect. From that, it made me wonder how or why should I listen to anyone here on the interwebz. If that's the case then why take any of it seriously? From that point on I have really only been here to give my honest opinion on photos that others make.
Merry Christmas to you too and thank you for your service!

@shefjr

I would never have looked into this except your feelings were so badly hurt and I wondered what had been said and so I went back and found the thread you are referring to and, imo, in that thread you received honest and kind comments.
In fact you thanked everyone for what they said.
If you were upset, you should not have left it that way to stew so long and hurt your involvement.

Most reactions

Back