How to deal with critique

I have read through this entire thread, and first of all I will say... very informative.... a window into how we all perceive our experiences and talent. Secondly I will say this. I am well aware, even tho I have had cameras in hand for many years, that I have my own style... my OWN being the operative word here.
I am also aware that everyone has the right to an opinion, and if I was afraid of, or refused to acknowledge every opinion that I didn't agree with; I personally would be aware that I was a narrow minded slow learner.. that I would have gained very little broad experience. My BEST critique comes from a long time friend and talented street photographer. This lady is a free spirit, and she insists on staying with her priorities, but this does not stop here from being totally honest with what she likes and does not like about other people's work. The point is, from MY perspective, if you are emotionally attached to a photograph then don't ask for critique. When we attach our seal of approval to anything in an emotional manner, we are guaranteed to be closed to alternate opinion or observations. Just my 0.02

Critiquing is a skill set, just as photography requires a skill set. Some do it better than others. It is non-trivial to analyse one's own reaction to an image and to understand why you have that reaction. Then to translate this into something that is meaningful and useful to others, whether the OP or another viewer, again requires communication skills, discernment and judgement.

The point is, from MY perspective, if you are emotionally attached to a photograph then don't ask for critique. When we attach our seal of approval to anything in an emotional manner, we are guaranteed to be closed to alternate opinion or observations. Just my 0.02

Two very good comments.

Understanding why you like/dislike a picture and being able to express that is a crucial learning experience because that applies directly one's own work.

When the text accompanying a picture tells me that the maker is really invested in the subject or the image, I know that any negative statements stand a good chance of being rejected. A crucial step is being able to separate yourself from even your well loved images so you can look at them objectively or at least hear comments objectively.

Based upon the hyperlink in overread's sig, I just came upon this thread.

My own personal experience: I've recently concluded that if I am pleased with an image, I probably won't post it here as I am emotionally attached to it and I really don't WANT to hear what is wrong with it. For some, it is irresistible to point out the 'flaw' in an image, and (this may sound odd to some) that is not always what I need.

Conversely, if I am unhappy with an image, this forum is a fantastic resource for getting to the bottom of what is technically or artistically wrong. I will happily post those images and get great help, invariably.

Some will argue, logically, that this will stunt my artistic growth to refrain from subjecting my prize images from critique. I think the globe will continue to rotate if Peeb chooses happy over perfect. ;)

Peeb all I will say is don't forget that there is the "just for fun" section where you can post photos without getting any critique back : )

For some, it is irresistible to point out the 'flaw' in an image, and (this may sound odd to some) that is not always what I need.

Conversely, if I am unhappy with an image, this forum is a fantastic resource for getting to the bottom of what is technically or artistically wrong. I will happily post those images and get great help, invariably.

Some will argue, logically, that this will stunt my artistic growth to refrain from subjecting my prize images from critique

If photography is a way to communicate, what comments/critiques point out is where the image falls short in communicating to others.
If you don't want to improve your abilities then the Just for Fun section is perfect.

Based upon the hyperlink in overread's sig, I just came upon this thread.

My own personal experience: I've recently concluded that if I am pleased with an image, I probably won't post it here as I am emotionally attached to it and I really don't WANT to hear what is wrong with it. For some, it is irresistible to point out the 'flaw' in an image, and (this may sound odd to some) that is not always what I need.

Some will argue, logically, that this will stunt my artistic growth to refrain from subjecting my prize images from critique. I think the globe will continue to rotate if Peeb chooses happy over perfect. ;)
I totally agree with you.
For some of my portrait stuff I email a mentor directly.

fyi, I like your avatar
though it's underexposed and OOF a bit
:)

For some, it is irresistible to point out the 'flaw' in an image, and (this may sound odd to some) that is not always what I need.

Some will argue, logically, that this will stunt my artistic growth to refrain from subjecting my prize images from critique

If photography is a way to communicate, what comments/critiques point out is where the image falls short in communicating to others.
If you don't want to improve your abilities then the Just for Fun section is perfect.
Good to know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back