How to deal with digital photos?

Anything other than a MacPro is a pain to take apart, and doing so voids the warranty and the protection plan I purchased on top of that. Plus I wouldn't be able to get the correct parts anyway.

uh, is this an obvious statement by me or am I missing something...
Take it to the apple store and have them replace it...warrenty???

I have a macbook pro and I know they take care of you... if you have a warrenty

Um...yesss...which I've done. They've ordered the parts today and it should be repaired in a week or so. In the mean I can keep the computer. Just can't do any editing; I can get away with imports as long as I keep a fresh icepack under the base.

The Eye-Fi cards support all of the popular online photo sharing sites, including SmugMug and Flickr. Certain cards also support Geo-Tagging of your photos through the use of SkyHook. The idea behind SkyHook is actually pretty slick. It uses cell tower triangulation and Wi-Fi Positioning to get a fast, accurate and dependable location information for your pictures. And unlike GPS, it works great indoors.
Eye-Fi has been in operation for approximentaly 2 years, and have had product available for about 1 year. In that year, they have seen over 5 million pictures uploaded to online photo sharing sites via their Eye-Fi cards. That number does not include the pictures people have had sent to their computers.

as much as I hate recommending a company I work for, take a look at Amazon's S3 cloud storage for your backups.

Now, if you want off site storage of physical media in secured facilities, look at companies like Iron Mountain.

I believe the most guests of the forum are shutterbugs. There must be lots of photos on each one's hard disk. May i ask how do you deal with so many photos? And what software do you use to modify and enjoy the photos?
I import, organize and do initial RAW editing in Lightroom. Final editing is done in Photoshop. My file structure is organized by year, then by date and event, then by file types; RAW folder, TIF and PSD folder, JPG for web folder, etc as needed.

My storage system consists of two separate banks of external hard drives connected via E-SATA II and port multipliers. One bank is for storage and working, the other for full redundant backup. I also back up all the rest of my computer on these (not just photos). Each bank has (4) 1 TB (terabyte) drives and (1) 750 GB (gigabyte) drive, and the storage system can be expanded later when needed by adding more drives. When one drive dies (and they all do at some point), I can pull it, replace it with a new drive, then use its redundant copy to get back to full operation again. In case of catastrophic failure that wipes out all drives simultaneously, I also do a backup to DVDs each month and store them at my sister's house in a fireproof safe.

I do the redundant backups using a program called Allway Sync, which works well for me. I backup each time I make any significant changes or add new photos, plus regular backups of all the rest of my "regular" hard drive stuff.

Most reactions

Back