How to deal with failures early in your career

SourDoughJACK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Today I went on my first nature hike as a photographer. I took well over a hundred photos of the beautiful lake we hiked to as well as the gorgeous hillsides. Very proud of my first landscape pictures, I rushed home to transfer the files from the sd card to the laptop, only while doing this, something occurred that caused only raw files to be transferred and the rest deleted. The JPEG files I had taken were more than 90% of the pictures (I usually only shoot in raw for people photos) and I was speechless when I realized what I had done. So, just out of curiosity I came here to see how others have dealt with similar things and ask you to share some of your "I'm an idiot" stories. Thanks for the support!

So, just out of curiosity I came here to see how others have dealt with similar things and ask you to share some of your "I'm an idiot" stories. Thanks for the support!
Usually I just hit myself with a brick, and try to ensure that this doesn't happen again. Have you tried using some recovery softwares? Because if the pics are just deleted AND the card is not corrupted AND you didn't copy any new files in the card, the deleted Jpegs can be recovered with almost 100% certainty.

It's not a failure
It's a technical snafu

have you tried using any undelete / recovery software on the SD card?

What kind of SD cards are you using?
Also, how are you transferring the files?
Do you format the SD card in camera before use?

You have a d7100 with 2 SD slots.
have you thought of doing RAW to 1 SD and JPEG to the 2nd as a safety feature?

should be able to recover the files.

Most reactions

Back