How to EASILY separate a stuck filter from a step up ring.

Bluegoose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Bought a ND filter and step up ring ... and within 30 seconds of screwing them together, I noticed they were stuck!

For an hour I read everything on the web, watched YouTube videos, tried all sorts of suggestions, and nothing worked. I won't bore you with everything I tried.

Sitting at my desk ... I noticed my mouse pad. I turned it over and placed it back on my desk. The bottom has a nice grip so it won't slip on the desk surface. I placed the ND filter down on the bottom side of the mouse pad ... and while pushing it down gently I turned the step up ring counter clockwise, and off it came!!

You learn something new every day!

I've always found a couple of elastic bands to work well. This is a good reason to spend the extra $$ for brass-bodied filters as they don't have this problem nearly as often.

Last edited:
the rubber pickle jar openers (rubber bands, mouse pads, etc) work perfectly for that.

I always "screwout" the filter first until it clicks and I'm more confident that it's flat with the threads, then screw it in. I have a few aluminum step rings and once in a while have a problem. I try not to keep them on their all the time.

I use my teeth

I use a bandsaw. Always works.

A squirt of PB Blaster and a pair of 16 inch channel locks always worked for me.

Most reactions

Back