How to find value of camera, lenses, shutters?

Monkeyleg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
After 30 years in the photography business, I'm moving on.

I sold my studio and tons of equipment back in 2000, but kept a view camera, a couple of lenses, a couple of Prontor remote control shutters, and the Prontor remote control. I have a few other items as well.

It's been over three years since I used the equipment, so I'm looking to sell it. Problem is, I don't know where to find out what it's worth or where to sell it.

Any suggestions? Replies much appreciated.

I always find eBay (and other on-line auction and sale sites) a good guide to what people will pay, track auctions of similar items and see what the average selling price is. Also, call up some of the local used camera dealers and see if they have anything similar in stock.

E-bay is your best bet as the camera houses have to make a living too.

What ever you do, don't get in a hurry. Watch the market for at least a couple of weeks.

On the other hand the season for selling is generally over a month or two before the fall colors. After this it starts to be a buyers market. The exception of course is a spot before Christmas but most people are looking for a bargain still.

Welcome to the forum by the way. Are you getting out of photography completely?

Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking at Ebay, but the number of Horseman view cameras listed is pretty slim. And I couldn't find a single Prontor shutter for sale.

"Are you getting out of photography completely?"

It would seem that way. During my 30 years in the business I've shot ads that won just about every award out there: Addy Awards, the One Show, Graphis, New York Art Directors Club, London Art Directors Guild, Effie awards, and many more.

I've had the privilege of working with some of the best art directors in the country. I also made a fine living for many years, and commanded some pretty good day rates ($2500 for in-town jobs, $5000+ for national clients).

But I just burned out on the business of photography. It's much more difficult to make a profit than it was 10+ years ago. Digital photography eliminated the profit from film and Polaroid markups, and also drove day rates down, at least around here.

The main reasons for getting out, though are physical and marital. At age 57, my body (especially my back) just can't take it. And I promised my wife many years ago that we would move to the South for retirement. I've spent the last seven or so years trying to segue into being a webmaster for a living, and now that's a reality. I'm no longer tethered to a city with a good advertising market, so I can finally fulfill my promise to my wife.

As I said, I've had many years of doing what I love. Now it's time to watch the young talents earn their place in the sun.

Congrats on a successful career! How far south are you going?..It's warm surely but you should know that you will never have to buy a humidifier. ;) (and in the summer that's not really a good thing)

As to the Horseman and shutters (wish I could!) try reading this thread
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127261
and maybe PM Iron Flatline.

Best of luck and don't be a stranger! (there are a lot of folks around here that need all the help we ;) can get!!!)

mike

Most reactions

New Topics

Back