How to fix this photo? Please help.

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by fadingaway1986, Mar 15, 2004.

1. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey...

This photo is from my year 10 semi formal a couple of years ago and apparently the film was stretched in the camera... Does anyone know of any way to get rid of these lines?

[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The lines are from someone winding your film backwards in the canister. That will stretch the film and make the lines on it. Only thing that I can think of is for someone who is good with Photoshop might be able to work some magic.

3. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Yup, it could be fixed with a very hi-res scan and a couple hours of careful photoshopping.

4. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks

I unfortunately don't have photoshop... Is there anywhere that I can download a trial version that would let me fix this photo? and how would you say i should go about doing it?

5. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

I'm no PS expert by any means, but I'd fix it by first getting a very hi-res scan, then working your way through each one of those bars of light burning them in more and/or cloning and healing it along the way. Like I said, the way I 'd do it would take a few hours, but it could be done.

As far as where to get PS, I don't think they offer any kind of trials or anything. If you're a student, you can get educational pricing, but it's still a whopper to the wallet ($399 or so, if I remember right). A good alternative is PS Elements, which is easier for a beginner to wield anyway. It can be had for under a hundred bucks and has most of the functionality of the full version.

6. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  7. drdan

drdan TPF Noob!

The cloning tool in Photoshop or Photoshp Elements might work but it would take some practice and probably hours of work to carefully get those lines out and still get it to look natural.

As was said, first get a very high resolution scan so you have as much detail a possible to work from and make several copies of that on your computer so you can make some trial runs to get the feel for it. Read whatever instructions you can about using the cloning tool and practice using it. It's not hard but it is a little bit of an art.

8. Sharkbait

Sharkbait TPF Noob!

Yep. Using the clone and heal tools and using the correctly is almost as much an art as taking the photo in the first place. It'll take some practice, but it's worth it once you get comfortable with the software. :D

9. drlynn

drlynn TPF Noob!

I'd be willing to give it a whirl in photoshop. I've got a little experience and am always looking for practice. PM me if interested.

10. Goofup

Goofup TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't know- those are pretty wide stripes for a cloning tool. Maybe you just need to burn in the lines so they match the rest of the picture and then lighten the whole thing.

11. doxx

doxx TPF Noob!

A carefully masked adjustment layer for each band should do the trick.
    After that, I'd bump the colors/contrast overall.