How to get certain lighting effect for wedding photography

mobobs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I cam across this awesome image and was wondering if anyone knew how to achieve this effect? I have my theories but was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this?

Please be as specific as possible; props, shutter speed, ISO, etc.

You're help is always appreciated?

Post a link to the photo.

Is that specific enough? :048:

LOL. I just realized I forgot the link :) Photo of the Day

Looks like they hung a light source inside the roof of the gazeebo. Probably multiple exposures to cover accomplish the sparkler look.

Place a speedlight in the dome of the gazebo. Open shutter with B or T setting. That will fire the speedlight and expose the kissing couple. While the shutter is still open, walk around and around and around and around and around and around them with a sparkler while they hold still. Close shutter.

It was a long exposure shot.. They hung the light from the top. Once the shutter was pushed and the flash goes off, someone circled them with a sparkler. It can be done with one exposure.

Place a speedlight in the dome of the gazebo. Open shutter with B or T setting. That will fire the speedlight and expose the kissing couple. While the shutter is till open, walk around and around and around and around and around and around them with a sparkler while they hold still. Close shutter.
You beat me to it.. :)

I'd do it with 2 shots. One with the couple and one with the sparkler. Those folks would have to stand perfectly still for way too long to get a sharp image.

I'd do it with 2 shots. One with the couple and one with the sparkler. Those folks would have to stand perfectly still for way too long to get a sharp image.

For what, all of 15-20 seconds?

For what, all of 15-20 seconds?

Long time to hold a pose perfectly still. Especially one like they have, all bent over and stuff.

Thank you all for your quick replies! Can't wait to try it!!!

They don't have to hold the pose "perfectly". Just stay reasonably still in the pose. If we had the original full size to examine, chances are we'd see where the sparkler going behind them overlaps them a little on some edges from their movement - just not enough movement to make it too obvious from this far away and at this size.

Long time to hold a pose perfectly still. Especially one like they have, all bent over and stuff.

They only need to hold reasonably still.... not rock-solid like a statue. The light in the gazebo is what created their exposure. Once that's done, they can shift around a bit and breath normally. Chance are, they even talked and giggled while the sparkler was being moved. Any light from the sparkler striking them isn't enough to register in the final image. They only need to be present so the sparkler can 'disappear' behind them.

So you're saying they froze the couple with a flash from above and then had someone run around them with a sparkler afterwards?

So you're saying they froze the couple with a flash from above and then had someone run around them with a sparkler afterwards?

No. If they froze the couple, they'd likely be dead. :eyebrows:

j/k. Yep, that's pretty much it.

Most reactions

Back