how to get crazy up close macro photos

I use an Olympus trinocular microscope and etch the images into stone using a portable CNC laser cutter. Takes a fair bit lugging the bag around though.

I once ate three pairs of boots.

Danny.

My goodness, that is a spectacular set-up!

Chuasam, The LAOWA is beyond his budget. When he gets back, financially, the Sigma 105 is often a third off, making it only $200 more than the Laowa. N-PHOTO magazine (UK) which I respect, rated it the best. I have been extremely happy with this and my other sig lenses.
[Sigma improved a ton recently. not all are as good as the ones I bought (listed in my signature). optically, these are outstanding. some others have focus issues, like back focusing. mine focus extremely quickly, but with close up shooting, manual focus is often best regardless of the lens. in other words, the sigma micro can search for a while.]

I have an old B&W one lens close-up attachment from my film days that I used on a 20-35 zoom. It's pretty good, but will cause sharpness to be reduced on the sig. I will let you know how it works after I buy a ring size adapter.

I plan to get extension tubes to get closer with both of my micro lenses.

Consider buying an older micro lens like my 60mm that i used in a housing underwater for years and still use, but the siggie blows it away (click on pic to zoom in): WHI_2118
Butterly House

Here are some recent shots with the sig micro:
Hibiscus in need of a proboscis
Tiny Pansy
popup flash in command mode -.7, Nikon 910 hand held -.3
WHI_1844
WHI_1836

The close up lens was strange when I used it on a 200mm lens to get crazy close:
WHI_1874

Also, you will need at least one, better two flashes as you stop down to f16 or more to get decent DOF.
REMEMBER, DOF decreases when you:
1. increase lens focal length
2. decrease lens to subject distance
3. open up the aperture

Danny, good luck with your job search!

Last edited:
Raynox 250 on a Nikon 55-200 with popup flash
nat on a water drop.jpg

I've been meaning to get a triocular adapter for my microscope

I just use eyepiece projection with the microscope at work. Does the job nicely but it's not very mobile & working distance is severely limited.

Here's a bit of a coin zoomed out as far as possible (the w is ~1mm across):

detail-from-a-20p_1298074106.jpg

My own microscope has a digital camera built in instead of eyepieces. It can't manage anything less than 100x which is a bit powerful for most subjects! DOF & working distance are even less than with the works scope.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back