How to get my parents to let be build a studio in the basement.

I may have missed it. But did you ask your parents about this? If not, why not? If you have and they said no, what were their reasons?

maybe your brother can move out then?
he is younger then me. not going to happen.

I agree with Derrell, you are getting ahead of yourself with too much construction. I would keep it portable, your going to move out and the construction will stay, you can take a backdrop/dividing wall made from PVC pipe and cloth with you.

I would lay out a final plan for the area (say you want the half-bath, but that may be in the future so just determine now where it is best located - where are current plumbing lines to tie into).

I would definitely check the electrical and budget for that area, breakers/outlets/grounding/switches/lights plus any ventilation, heating or cooling that may be required.

I would spend on a decent mic and mic-preamp before doing a lot of construction for sound control. A lot of sound control can be done with some carpet remnants and other very cheap solutions.

Being able to leave the lightstands/tripod/backdrop/micstands/mixer/computer set up is the main time saver. I would pick up used furniture, but start with the minimum (most 10x10 studios I have been in only have a stool for a person or a table for product photography).

I know how you feel, I was able to set up a home darkroom in high school and it really helped to have a place where everything could be left in its place.
The wall design I have, is completely removable in an afternoon and won't leave any holes that some spackle won't fix.

I am working on a floorplan for the whole basement right now. Show them where I would be and that it wouldn't intrude upon their plans too much.

Like I said, the "construction" I want to do can be taken out in a afternoon. And for sound I was just going to put up those foam accoustic panels. there like $30 for a 24pack.

thats the main thing. Being able to just shoot, and not having to worry about spending an hour setting everything up for something that might only take 30mins.

Yea, for furniture I will buy as I need it. no point in buying something that I might not ever use.

I may have missed it. But did you ask your parents about this? If not, why not? If you have and they said no, what were their reasons?
No, I have not asked them yet. Wanted to create a game plan before I asked. Give myself the best possible chance of them agreeing.

Bribery. It's expensive (at least it would be for my kids) but it might work.

Where there is a will there is a way. The most inspirational portrait photographer I know grew a company from $1.50 to $450, 000 in one year with nothing but a painted white wall in her garage. Sue Bryce....you can google her. That being said she had 10 years of experience under her belt and was not learning how to take photos.

Disregard anyone who ever tells you that you can't do something. Usually it's just people who haven't "made it" themselves.

Where there is a will there is a way. The most inspirational portrait photographer I know grew a company from $1.50 to $450, 000 in one year with nothing but a painted white wall in her garage. Sue Bryce....you can google her. That being said she had 10 years of experience under her belt and was not learning how to take photos.

Disregard anyone who ever tells you that you can't do something. Usually it's just people who haven't "made it" themselves.
hmm, never heard of her. Will have to read up on her.
Well like you said, when theres a will theres a way!

hmm, never heard of her. Will have to read up on her.
Well like you said, when theres a will theres a way!
It's probably better to YouTube her. She speaks for Creative Live a lot and shares how she built her business. By year three she was making a million a year shooting nothing but female portraits.

Why don't you simply talk to your parents? See what they are willing to let you do, and see what you can work up.

It seems like you have done your researched and planned accordingly. If they tell you no solid walls, look into alternatives, such as PVC piping or other temporary measures. Is that ideal? No. But maybe once they see how invested you are in it, they may let you expand.

I dig your enthusiasm, especially for 15. My son is 15 and photographs for the yearbook. That said, you are only 15, low on funds, and you haven't even spoken to your folks yet.
I get that you are wanting to go in with a plan. But for myself I would rather have my boy come to me first before getting all worked up about something that may be a flat out no from the get go.
I say see what they say first and go from there. And to get a bit "Dad" on you; school first, hobbies later:D
Good luck!

Most reactions

Back