How to get spectacular close-up shots?

GreenNV

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pic7.piczo.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I was outside yesterday so some weeding when I notice this bee on a dandelion, just sitting there for the longest while so I ran inside for my camera. First I use my telephoto lens thinking I could get a real nice closeup but the camera wouldn't focus for me so I switched to my kit lens, wide angle I guess that's what you'd call it and still the stupid thing wouldn't focus on real close shots. I tried taking the shot with and without flash, fill-flash, macro setting, portrait setting, this and that but nothing like some of the shots I see here. I guess I should download the pics from my camera so I can show them to you, so you can see what I got but I just thought that with my telephoto lens I could get a real nice clear closeup...like zoom right up on the eyes or something like that, ya know? Can you offer me some advice when taking closeup shots of insects, flowers, etc.? I still suck at do my own manual settings, haven't a bloody clue where to even begin there.

Buy a macro lens specifically for macro shooting. I use a 50mm Canon lens that works fine. I'm sure others have further info. for you.

I would think telephoto would be more for objects that are far away that must be brought up close (such as a football player on the field taken from camera at sidelines). If you want to get close up, you need to BE close up.

Macro lenses come in several different focal lengths. Usually, the longer the better. The reason for this, is that with a shorter lens, you must get physically closer to your subject...sometimes so close that you block out the light or disturb the subject. A telephoto macro lens gives you more 'working room' by allowing you to get more magnification from farther away...if only a few inches or feet.

Great info, thanks so much guys. I will post a couple of pics in the appropriate board to show you my results. I'll tell ya though, I've tried a hundred different ways to take these pics so I think I just need a macro lens if I want that professional looking pic. :D

If you are on a budget, buy a set of extension tubes. You can use them on any lens to increase the minimum focus distance. A typical set of tubes will be 3 tubes of different lengths. Use them individually, or in combination to give different magnifications. Usually 3 tubes will equal 65mm, and when used with a 50mm lens, you'll get higher than 1:1 mag.

I bet you were well past your minimum focusing distance, telephotos don't work well when you're 5 inches away. look at the focus scales on your lenses to see what the minimum focusing distance is.

I feel really stupid asking this, but what is a macro lense and macro shooting? I am still fairly new at this.:oops:

Most reactions

Back