How to get spectacular close-up shots?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by GreenNV, Jun 7, 2007.

1. GreenNV

GreenNV TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Well I was outside yesterday so some weeding when I notice this bee on a dandelion, just sitting there for the longest while so I ran inside for my camera. First I use my telephoto lens thinking I could get a real nice closeup but the camera wouldn't focus for me so I switched to my kit lens, wide angle I guess that's what you'd call it and still the stupid thing wouldn't focus on real close shots. I tried taking the shot with and without flash, fill-flash, macro setting, portrait setting, this and that but nothing like some of the shots I see here. I guess I should download the pics from my camera so I can show them to you, so you can see what I got but I just thought that with my telephoto lens I could get a real nice clear closeup...like zoom right up on the eyes or something like that, ya know? Can you offer me some advice when taking closeup shots of insects, flowers, etc.? I still suck at do my own manual settings, haven't a bloody clue where to even begin there.

2. DigitalDiva

DigitalDiva TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Buy a macro lens specifically for macro shooting. I use a 50mm Canon lens that works fine. I'm sure others have further info. for you.

I would think telephoto would be more for objects that are far away that must be brought up close (such as a football player on the field taken from camera at sidelines). If you want to get close up, you need to BE close up.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Macro lenses come in several different focal lengths. Usually, the longer the better. The reason for this, is that with a shorter lens, you must get physically closer to your subject...sometimes so close that you block out the light or disturb the subject. A telephoto macro lens gives you more 'working room' by allowing you to get more magnification from farther away...if only a few inches or feet.

4. GreenNV

GreenNV TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great info, thanks so much guys. I will post a couple of pics in the appropriate board to show you my results. I'll tell ya though, I've tried a hundred different ways to take these pics so I think I just need a macro lens if I want that professional looking pic. :D

5. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are on a budget, buy a set of extension tubes. You can use them on any lens to increase the minimum focus distance. A typical set of tubes will be 3 tubes of different lengths. Use them individually, or in combination to give different magnifications. Usually 3 tubes will equal 65mm, and when used with a 50mm lens, you'll get higher than 1:1 mag.

6. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I bet you were well past your minimum focusing distance, telephotos don't work well when you're 5 inches away. look at the focus scales on your lenses to see what the minimum focusing distance is.

7. Big Bully

Big Bully TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I feel really stupid asking this, but what is a macro lense and macro shooting? I am still fairly new at this.:oops:

8. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Try typing that into google.

9. GreenNV

GreenNV TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks everyone for your advise. :)

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!