How to get the quickest FPS on D40

jhendrix

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My D40 got here in the mail today, but i'm wondering how to get the quickest frames per second with it? What settings to use for sports and whatnot.

I also noticed when just doing continuous shooting it seems to lag sometimes? As in i'll hold the button down and it will start shooting and then randomly it will stop sometimes and then start again. Is there something wrong there?

Thanks!

To get the absolute quickest FPS (ignoring quality), shoot at the lowest jpeg setting on continuous mode. Shooting in raw will limit the number of frames possible, though it should be fast enough for basic sports.

The lag (I think) is just the buffer being filled, or the card not writing quick enough. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, it's weird because if I put it in RAW it will shoot about 3-4 pictures very quickly, but then all of a sudden slow down alot.

And if I put it in JPEG Basic it doesn't slow down any and keeps shooting at an even pace, but it doesn't even shoot as fast as the first 3-4 that RAW shoots.

I'm confused. :???:

You should read your manual.

In JPEG it will shoot faster than in RAW. In RAW the file sizes are bigger and it takes more time to write the files to the card.

You should read your manual.

In JPEG it will shoot faster than in RAW. In RAW the file sizes are bigger and it takes more time to write the files to the card.
Well, I bought it used and it didn't come with the manual.

But, I had read up on that so I set it to JPEG, but like I said, it still doesn't shoot as fast as I think it can, because if I shoot in RAW it shoots faster than JPEG for a few shots but then slows down really slow.

because if I shoot in RAW it shoots faster than JPEG for a few shots but then slows down really slow.
Is it possible that it's just a slower shutter speeds and not a slower frame rate?

Well, it's weird because if I put it in RAW it will shoot about 3-4 pictures very quickly, but then all of a sudden slow down alot.

And if I put it in JPEG Basic it doesn't slow down any and keeps shooting at an even pace, but it doesn't even shoot as fast as the first 3-4 that RAW shoots.

I'm confused. :???:
This is because jpgs are processed RAW files. This processing takes time, so the overall fps should be slower. This is a limitation of your camera's CPU. With a RAW, there's almost no processing done and the data is sent straight to the card. Then once it slows down due to the camera's on board memory being filled up (aka the "buffer"), this is then a limitation of the memory card's writing speed.

I'm going to guess that you don't have a high-speed card? I'd recommend an Extreme II or even Extreme III card if you want to do alot of continuous shooting in RAW on an average DSLR like the D40.

The frame speed is 2.5 shots per second. The JPEG fine size varies from 1.5mb to almost 4mb depending on the object richness of colours.

The card ability has it's limit (SD card here) which is the same with any other type of cards. 2.5 frame per second in raw is an average of 12mb or more per second for the card to handle. There is fast speed processing SD card available on the market also if you interest.

Hi Hendrix, IMHO you are trying to run before you learn how to walk.
Download the manual from Nikon support site and get familiar with the camera's settings, then start reading about photography basic concepts and how to put them in practice with your camera. There are lots of sites with cool tutorials and workshops for you to try and practice

Thanks everyone, I think it might be the card, it's just a SanDisk 2GB SD card, I might have to look into a better card when I get into taking better pictures.

I'm about to download the manual, and I am reading a guide on Ken Rockwells site.

Again, thanks everyone!

Any high speed card will improve your burst ratio. Don't stick to Ken Rockwells guide, read what other reviewers have to say too ;)

Any high speed card will improve your burst ratio. Don't stick to Ken Rockwells guide, read what other reviewers have to say too ;)
Do you happen to have a high speed card?
If so, did it improve it alot?

And yes, i've been searching through the forums and looking at guides. It's of help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back