How to get to full frame without breaking the bank

It's a trade-off, I suppose. Crop body cameras lack the wide angle I want, but they have lovely 'reach' for the long shots...

Be careful with the crop body and reach comments. Some people don't take kindly to the notion. :)

It's a trade-off, I suppose. Crop body cameras lack the wide angle I want, but they have lovely 'reach' for the long shots...

Be careful with the crop body and reach comments. Some people don't take kindly to the notion. :)
Wasn't sure whether to tag that comment as funny or useful...

Damn big Pharmaceuticals. Thalidomide was not safe for anti-nausea.

Wasn't sure whether to tag that comment as funny or useful...
You can get 10mm UWA options for crop bodies now, which is equivalent to 15/16mm FF.

OK- so my first goal was to get my 'view' back to that of tradition 35 mm (so that I'm not getting 1.6x the reach on each lens). Maybe I could either: (a) get a crop body camera with panorama mode, or (b) spring for a wider wide angle.

Another primary goal for me is the ability to enlarge a print quite a bit for a large piece of art. I suppose a fine quality crop body slr (say, Nikon 5300) could still accomplish?

I've shot billboard ads with images shot on a D700 and cropped by almost 30%. I'm sure you can do a large art piece with a D5300.

Sounds to me like a ff body and lenses will put you back into your comfort zone, so do it and enjoy.

I've looked a bit more into the DX lens line, and it's come a long way since the old D40 in 2006.

Went to a photo shop and physically matched the D610 and D5300 and it's REALLY tempting to shed some size/heft and just go with the little one.

The FX series lenses I looked at are not just more expensive, they are HEAVY. I know that they are sturdier, better built, and with better optics, but I gotta be honest with myself regarding likelihood I tote them.

I'd love the best possible IQ, but I won't get any images if I leave the whole rig at home.

I totally agree. If given a chance to start from scratch, I would be heavily tempted to get the Fuji X system instead.

My D810 is really a legacy that started from my f100 I used in college which progressed to a D300 when I went full digital and then D700 because they did not continue that body line.

For a backup system, I'm waffling between the X system and the m43rds. Sony offers good cameras for the size but their lens system is rubbish and impossible to procure.

My GF of 8 years is an established professional equestrian photographer and her system complements mine. We are able to share gear if we schedule our shoots right.

Full frame does provide really good image quality but unless you sell your images or regularly print at very large sizes, it's really just a pain to carry.

I was recent on vacation in England and for the times I was in London and I used my D810 a grand total of once. Too many stairs and too little space. I used a borrowed Panasonic Lumix GM1 for the vast majority of the time. The images printed beautifully on my 13x19" printer.

I've looked a bit more into the DX lens line, and it's come a long way since the old D40 in 2006.

Went to a photo shop and physically matched the D610 and D5300 and it's REALLY tempting to shed some size/heft and just go with the little one.

The FX series lenses I looked at are not just more expensive, they are HEAVY. I know that they are sturdier, better built, and with better optics, but I gotta be honest with myself regarding likelihood I tote them.

I'd love the best possible IQ, but I won't get any images if I leave the whole rig at home.
With the d5x00 you lose dual control wheels and buttons for changes as it uses menus.
The d7x00 gives you the same controls as the FX bodies.

Also don't just look at modern lenses for everything.
Look at some older AF-D lenses. With the "larger" body (d7x00, d6x0) you get an in-body focus motor that can use these older lenses.

Compare a 50mm/1.8 AF-D to a 50/1.8 AF-D G and you'll be astonished by the size difference with the AF-D being quite smaller. Also 24mm/2.8 AFD, 35/2.8 AFD are great small primes.

I also use a 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D lens versus the much bigger & heavier 24-70/2.8. I've also used the small 35-70/2.8 AF-D.

You can get some good small size lenses in AF-D if you research it more and lose alot of that weight and bulk.

With the d5x00 you lose dual control wheels and buttons for changes as it uses menus.

Look at some older AF-D lenses. With the "larger" body (d7x00, d6x0) you get an in-body focus motor that can use these older lenses.

Compare a 50mm/1.8 AF-D to a 50/1.8 AF-D G and you'll be astonished by the size difference with the AF-D being quite smaller. Also 24mm/2.8 AFD, 35/2.8 AFD are great small primes.

I also use a 24-85/2.8-4.0 AF-D lens versus the much bigger & heavier 24-70/2.8. I've also used the small 35-70/2.8 AF-D.

You can get some good small size lenses in AF-D if you research it more and lose alot of that weight and bulk.
Of course, the in-between choice is the D7200!

I don't like that it's bigger and heavier than the D5300 but I DO like that it has it's own focus motor, which opens a lot of doors....

Of course, the in-between choice is the D7200!

I don't like that it's bigger and heavier than the D5300 but I DO like that it has it's own focus motor, which opens a lot of doors....
I would not have been able to afford the various lenses I have if it was not buying a body with a focus motor in it and AF-D type lenses.
18-35 AF-D vs 18-35 AF-S approx $350 vs $740
either 35-70/2.8 or 24-85/2.8-4 vs the 24-70/2.8 approx $350 vs $1400+
and the list goes on ...
it adds up quickly. The better body paid for itself very quickly. Sure the newer ones are optically better but you pay for that too.

Most reactions

Back