how to make a photo unique

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by rom4n301, Dec 6, 2009.

1. rom4n301

rom4n301 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i was shooting my friend skating and it got me thinking, what would it really take to make a photo unique and stand out from any other photo. i mean anybody with the same lighting equipment and camera could take this photo. essentially all im doing is pointing my camera and pressing a button. this seems to get even harder when shooting landscapes. i just wanted your opinions on this, what does it take to make a photo unique and creative?

2. mtfd635

mtfd635 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Composition, color/exposure & sharpness/DOF approriate to the subject
    and so many variables within each component!
    I have had, like most who are honest with their craft, many pics come out 'eh' though carefully implemented. Many so-so shots happen to work beautifully in 2d.
    And of course the occasional 'wow' shot that worked as intended.
    As much art as science, though both are too slippery to define exactly.
    The science may be perfect but lack artistic value, art may excel on a 'technically poor' piece of work.

I know many engineers that can not understand architecture, and of course architects lost in the engineering realities...:confused:

3. DennyCrane

DennyCrane No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Found your problem.

If you're not trying to envision something unique, odds are nothing unique will ever appear from your camera.

4. Photo-Man

Photo-Man TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is not possible that your every single click would result as a WOW shot, but practicing with your camera can make most of your shots a superb and a unique one. Make it your habit to take your camera every where you go. Take many photos. From every angle possible... yes the weird ones as well. Try to picture open sky with little clouds, sun sets, sun rises, shiny surfaces reflecting sceneries and so on. And for other tips and tricks I usually hit this page - how to take good pictures.

5. RGiroux32

RGiroux32 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A picture is light and composition. Don't think great pictures will magically happen if you take a ton of them. You may just end up with a lot of crappy ones! :) Put thought into each one. Ask yourself what would make this better?

Think about what you have control over. Great landscape photography follows a relatively simple recipe. Patience, timing and location (on top of light and composition). Put yourself in the right place, at the right time and wait for nature to hand it to you. Landscapes require great light, interesting clouds, a bird flying by, maybe a slow shutter speed to get water to blur, or some other visual "kicker" to make them stand out. Unless you do it for a living (and I don't) you end up compromising on your landscapes because they are often shot on vacation and your spouse is making you hurry up and the light isn't optimal. You cant come back to the same spot day after day waiting for the perfect situation. You get out it what you put into it. The best way to get better is to look at a lot of good photos and in your mind pick out exactly what you like about them and why. Analize each one and make a mental note when you see something clever someone has done to make something ordinary, less ordinary... then when you face a situation you want to shoot, scan your memory for relevant ideas on how to create your unique take on it. Hope this helps.

6. robitussin217

robitussin217 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I suggest thinking of a theme and practicing it. Then you can tweak and vary. The theme will turn into a style and then those that have seen your work will know it when they see it in the future.

I often think in terms of music. And, when innovation happens it usually involves disregarding some rule(s). Claude Debussy threw out a lot of theory in order to use dissonant intervals for consonant compositions. That's why I think he was a genius.

One standard also, however, is that any of the great innovators had a thorough grasp of traditional technique. Schoenberg!

Technology adds a lot of options and there are plenty inherently present in composition alone. Juxtaposition, point of view, balance, symmetry... for you to use or forsake.

7. Mendoza

Mendoza TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Genuine inspiration tends to stoke creativity, but that alone isn't always enough because if a million people are inspired by the same thing, that thing will become diluted by its own popularity. So one looks for uncommon subjects; but uncommon approaches are a sure path to something original. The approach itself isn't as important as the fact that it represents a different slant on something. Maybe it's an infrared red filter for a landscape, maybe it's laying flat on your stomach for a street shot, maybe it's breaking out a tripod and doing some slow shutter speed shots of skateboarding, maybe it's interesting weather, exploring the whole "other world" of macro, or finding some latent beauty in a pile of detritus... Why not experiment?
    I think inspiration + experimentation + technique is 2/3 of the answer. (Call me when you figure out the other 1/3.) ;)

8. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another thing is that you must be familiar with what is commonplace, before you can know what is unique. This means looking at lots and lots of photographs by others.