How to make a picture pop?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by wet, May 29, 2009.

1. wet

wet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

I am new to photography. I always ask myself how do people take such good pictures.

Q1. I was wondering how do you make a picture pop? I saw a lot of picture, they are so rich with color. How do you do that? My sky is never that blue. Do you use filters etc to make you picture pop or do you use digital software to alter your pictures?

Q2. How do you get sharp, rich & vivid picture when taking shooting under the bright sun? I tried polarizer, 0.6 ND & flash fill, doesn't seems to be effective under the mid afternoon sun.

Q3. It is a sin to digitally post processed your picture?

Thanks.

2. scooter916

scooter916 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    very nice i was also wondering i am 13 and love to take pics of me and my friends at the skate park for are team i need a very good beginner camera and a good price that is reasonable for my budget around 250 300 or maybe a little more

3. blue9993

blue9993 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It makes a lot of difference when you use filters and after that, the photo can be enhanced using a digital software. Post processing is definitely acceptable. I tried to edit your photo... See the difference :)

[​IMG]

4. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Think of post processing your photo like treating film in a darkroom. In PP you can tweak your photo to your liking just like somebody developing film and printing pictures. There are those who choose to do as little PP as possible (if any), and there are those who like to do extreme amounts of changes to the photo. In the end, it's all up to you, and the end result is all that matters.

If you want your colors more live, adjust the saturation of the photo as well as the contrast. Using a simple curves adjustment in photoshop can work wonders on a photo. There are numerous other things you can do but these are usually the easiest and most effective.

5. Sherman Banks

Sherman Banks TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ??? This doesn't have anything to do with the OP's questions, but get a Canon XS or a Nikon D40 if you need a good camera on a budget.

6. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Good luck scooter, stick with P&S for your budget (JMHO).

For the photo, levels, contrast, saturation, sharpen. As a general rule, use those in post and your picture will generally turn out much better.

Mark

7. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

A1. Same location but different time, filter such a CPL and of course Post processing (film or digital)

A2. It depends on the location. Sometimes, under the bright sun will result in harsh shadow. And if the object is large, you may just need to re-take the photo at a different time.

A3. Personally, I consider photography is an Art and the photos is the ark work. And it is nothing wrong in perfecting the art work.

8. wet

wet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. Photoshop is pretty expensive, are there any cheaper or better still free software out there that I can use?

9. Bitter Jeweler

Bitter Jeweler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Gimp

10. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Gimp is pretty good.

11. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like Aperture for macs and Lightroom for PC's for general editing programs. I use both as well as photoshop, but I think that if you want really good pictures that 'pop', it's mostly about capturing a really great shot. Post processing allows you to make a great shot, creative and personlized.

12. teneighty23

teneighty23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Scooter you called scooter cuz you own a scooter? i had a scooter when i was 14, best time of my life. anyways, i would try using a circ. polarizor, and try shooting with sidelighting, (tho i think yours is sidelit). or more away from the sun, the sky is always much darker away from the sun, plus try shooting more towards the morning/evening, thats the biggest difference between photos that are plain and ones that pop. good lighting is key.