How to make your old car look great again!

I didn't read it all
You probably should before you comment.
but here's a few problems I see.

1. If you have softer clearcoat like on a Honda/Acura then an absorber will marr the surface. Also the absorber has no way of pulling any dirt left from beyond the surface. A good waffle weave Microfiber drying towel will work much better and safer for softer paints.
This not a clear coated car, and if the car and towel are properly washed there is no dirt. And, again, if you have results you are happy with that's cool.

2. NEVER let the buffer's pad touch any surface other than the car as it is in your picture. Any dirt that accidentally gets in the pad from that surface will just get spun around all over the paint.
As noted.

3. Dawn.....I suppose it's okay if it's used only before a full detail
As noted.

4. I would never put a product directly on the paint as you could marr the paint by setting those bottles there. Set a microfiber cloth on the paint and then the product on that. No sense in risking damaging the paint when you're putting as much time into as this.
Those are on a BBQ grill which gets much hotter from the fire than sitting in the sun.

LWW

You probably should before you comment.

This not a clear coated car, and if the car and towel are properly washed there is no dirt. And, again, if you have results you are happy with that's cool.

As noted.

As noted.

Those are on a BBQ grill which gets much hotter from the fire than sitting in the sun.

LWW

Sorry, but I'm not going to spend 30 mintues reading the same stuff I've seen on autopia 1000 times. I was just adding some things for people who try to tackle a job like this....not trying to put you down....just adding some information for others from what I saw.

That's fine if yours is single stage......not everybody's will be and this is information for all. That said, it should be mentioned that softer clear coats should be a little weary of their drying medium (which is all I did). If your car is single stage and harder paint, then that's great, but I was under the impression that this thread was created to help other's detail their own cars.....which may or may not be a soft clear coat. << That's the reason I thought it would be worth mentioning about the absorber on some paints. (I use it on my wife's single stage paint with no problems as well by the way)

Anyway, I think it's great you are making posts like this for people to get informed. I was just trying to add some information to the post. Did you list anything about the 2 bucket wash method? If so, that would be some more useful information for this thread to help keep from re-marring the paint after all that work. Again :thumbup: for helping people out....I'm all for having more swirl free cars on the roads.

Most reactions

Back