How to pose a large team photo creatively - softball

Discussion in 'The Aspiring Professionals Forum' started by SquarePeg, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    softball pros and cons?
    Here's what's wrong with that example: The "V" is bass-awkward! The ends of the lineup are the farthest from the camera, and they appear to be the shortest ones on the team. Even if you wanted to do a "V", then at least consider your DOF when lining them up.
    My thought EXACTLY!!!!! What kind of person tries to make the shorter girls look EVEN shorter by positioning them the farthest from the lens?

A BIG problem is 1)shooting from too close with a wide-angle lens and 2) NOT having the back of the camera plano-parallell with an imaginary back wall! Meaning, keep the camera lens at BELT buckle height, and NEVER at eye-level of standing players!

Never "shoot down at" people in static or posed groups, or they do not look right.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. TheLibrarian

TheLibrarian TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    People have mentioned V's and it seems there has been talk of having gear and being a bit more scattered about. I read something recently that said when the group photographer told us to squeeze together it wasn't to squeeze everyone in the shot but to make people seem closer to eachother on a personal level. Thats fine but I think a rule that can be broken ie with them around home plate, batter at bat other people standing around a bit cockeyed and casually holding their gear. Maybe different poses for everyone together but enough space for them to pose a la regina cougers on pinterest is probably my fav team shot.

I'm sure you can look up interesting/ unique team photos for ideas. I kind of like the circle shot as well from above or below the huddle. Do they huddle in softball/ baseball? I also like on a split level stairs or balcony (stairs going down left and right and a platform in the middle. Some sitting on/ in the railing with everyone cool and casual and a bit bad again scattered about more than usual. Everyone stand together and get closer is just too traditional for me.

Or something like this with the gear scattered about instead of balloons and stuff.
    OFF THE WALL – Yale MFA Graphic Design Thesis Show 2010 /// | The Takeover /// | The Takeover ///

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Pose them in the traditional way, make everyone wear a @pixmedic mustache with a big stogie in their mouth.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1