How To: Pretend your lens is an L-Series lens

DSLR noob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if any of you have this level of immaturity but this is a fun way to get your lens to look like an L series lens to other photographers.

Step 1:
Choose a lens you want to "L-ify". Here we see the Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens.
IMG_0246.jpg

step 2:
Find a rubber band that fits securely around the lens.
IMG_0248.jpg

Step 3:
Put the rubber band around something with a similar diameter as your lens.
IMG_0250.jpg

Step 4:
With a permanent red marker, place the marker tip on the rubber band and begin rotating the object the band is placed on. Give the band about 3 or 4 minutes to dry. Repeat for other side. I find Prismacolor's crimson red chisel tipped maker works nicely.
IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

Step 5:
Using a fine part of the marker, do the top and bottom on the rubber band.
IMG_0253.jpg

Step: 6
After giving the band drying time. Place the band at the end of your lens and vuala! A Canon "L-Series" lens. Behold the EFS-18-55 f/3.5-f/4 L
IMG_0254.jpg

I added a UV filter too keep the band from going behind the bayonet hood mount. Good for head on views.
IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Later I'll try and think of a way to add distance scales, and make your telephoto white. :) (just kidding, but who knows)

oh c'mon, can't afford an L-series lens?

Haha I don't know what you're talking about, it is an L-Series lens. Could you tell I was bored as hell today? also I'm only 17 and have no job.

well, I have certainly seen red elastic bands of the colour required here ;)

However,why would you want to make it look like an L lens?

It is a bit like like "hiding" a banana under your trousere :p

Yeah I could've just used a red band from the start, but what kind of how to only has 2 steps?

As for what is scarier. Probably the can cap. :) That came with a watch from burger king. My mom saw it on TV and wanted one. I got the can. Made a great place to bootleg rubber bands.

Haha I don't know what you're talking about, it is an L-Series lens. Could you tell I was bored as hell today? also I'm only 17 and have no job.
I'm in the same boat. I have the 30-90 lens of the same make. I am however, borrowing a 70-200 zoom from my uncle:drool:Which to anyone of experience probably isnt that exciting, but I'm becoming addicted to it.

Thanks for the tip! This will go perfect with the 28-105 f3.5-4.5 I painted white.

If that fools even one equipment snob just for the amount of time it takes for him to walk over and you to tell him it's a rubber band, your time will have been well-spent. :lmao:

I'm in the same boat. I have the 30-90 lens of the same make. I am however, borrowing a 70-200 zoom from my uncle:drool:Which to anyone of experience probably isnt that exciting, but I'm becoming addicted to it.

Same, Im a HS student that has no job. So this may be quite helpful!
;)

do you also stick "Twin Turbo" badges on all your cars?

this is fine, until somone notices.... then you look a right **** :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back