How to prevent photo from being used without permission?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by vvcarpio, Jul 22, 2017.

1. vvcarpio

vvcarpio No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you again, all. I get the consensus (and the architect agrees) that there is little we can do about people "sans ethics", as Gary A put it, on the Internet. To answer some questions, yes, this is work-for-hire so the architect owns the copyright. I just happen perhaps to be the only photographer they know so they thought of asking me -- no obligation on my part but I'm happy to help out (with this forum's help).

On a related note, I did a cease-and-desist, DCMA-takedown not long ago. Jim Doty, author of the "for-dummies" book, "Digital Photography Exposure for Dummies" (2010), alerted me that my photo was being used by a seller of an iPhone accessory. The hosting ISP honored my takedown request and took down the offending website. Last time I checked, the website was back up this time without my photo.

Here is Jim Doty's blogpost: Don’t get ripped off! | Blog.JimDoty.com

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

In the US it can only be work-for-hire if you're an employee of the company you make images for.
    Unless the parties expressly agree in a written instrument signed by them that the work shall be considered a work made for hire.
    Doing so is a great way to leave considerable money on the table.
    https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

• Agree Agree x 1