How to reduce a photo?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Green Tea, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Green Tea

Green Tea TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My photos are 1Mb usually, but we can submit photos of a few Kb only. How do I make them smaller with the Microsoft editor I have?

2. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure on the microsoft editor - but the way I would do it (and tend to usually) is to resize the pic to say 800x600 pixels and then when you save - use save as and reduce the quality of the image (usually its in a percentage) ie add some compression.

I usually use Irfanview which is free and is at www.irfanview.com

3. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    "Microsoft Editor"? Do you mean MSPaint? Don't use that program for anything under any circumstances. Its resizing algorithm is disgusting and stupidly destructive, and its JPGs don't save that small. IrfanView is a good free solution for sure. Or if you want some real editing power for your photos for free, try the Gimp.

4. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    are you using MS Office Picture Manager? If so...

Look for Export...possibly along the right side of the screen. Then you just set the custom settings like you want them. As mentioned previously, definitely reduce the size for something viewable on a monitor (usually no bigger than 800x600 for web, forums, emails, etc (forums...really a bit smaller)

Then you can set your JPEG quality. Setting it lower will compress the image (filesize) smaller, but not necessarily a better quality. Also, setting the JPEG quality lower will NOT make the viewable size any smaller. In MS Picture Manager, I have found that 80 or above is usually "decent", while at 90 the blemishes are barely noticeable. Of course, this depends on your photo...just give it a try, and make sure not to overwrite your originals!

5. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks I have installed it and I will give it a go tonight. I have just run it for few minutes to see it quickly, I think this is the right one I've been asking all along.

6. Miaow

Miaow TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Make sure you get the plugin also which expands what it can do a bit more :)

I find it a pretty handy program - i especially like the custom rotation option on it. It's also really good for slideshows :)

7. Green Tea

Green Tea TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thank you all! I've installed Gimp, it looks like fun to play with !!