How to reduce the cost of photography at my wedding

I saw a college wedding pro one time from Russia. He was amazing.
Stunning. But also 99 to 1 in the wedding odds.
If you are looking for snapshots, give everyone a disposable. Tell them to stand really close, because you won't be in focus, and if they stand close enough to be in focus, you will be a big white ghost.
And all that stuff behind you will be gone from all the direct flash.

People wonder about why certain people make a lot of money in photography. I've even heard friends of theirs call it a rip off.

A rip off is some half baked quack with some 4L lens, shooting upwards in a gymnasium. Great shots of the grates, exit signs and grills.

A pro has this figured out, and can take the roughest of weddings, receptions, and make them look like the most romantic, most fun venues ever.

That is the difference between quack and an artist.

look, by hiring someone on the cheap your obviously taking a chance at an aweful experience that will stick with you forever.

do you really want to take a chance on your wedding photographer? are you going to remember how you spent more money than you wanted, or the amazing photos and album you got?

As wedding photographers, we work really hard at perfecting our craft and the time that we spend at a clients wedding is only a fraction of the time that we spend ON that wedding. Our prices have to be such that we cover top of the line equipment (and back up equipment), fast computers, back up system, software, what we pay to 2nd shooters and assistants, continuing education, insurance, gas... the list goes on. Oh - don't let me forget... we need to have a little to live on as well since our time is valuable. We roll with the punches, run our butts off and often end up helping with details as well... pinning corsages, putting on cuff links, where to stand when the B&G cut the cake. We're good at this because we've seen it and done it a thousand times.

A week ago I was shooting a wedding and the reception area was REALLY dark (as most are). Can a student figure out how to properly expose in the dark without getting that washed out flashed look? Maybe but I'd be sure that they could before hiring them. My flash unit got too hot and quit firing about 2/3 of the way through the reception. Even at 3200 ISO and a fast lens, there was no way I was going to get usable photos without it. Good thing I had a back up flash which I quickly grabbed from my bag and kept shooting. Chances are, a student won't just have an extra $400 flash laying around. If you hire a student, make sure they have adequate equipment with back up.

Oh... and what about a back up plan just in case they get sick and can't make it to your wedding at the last minute. I know that most of us would shoot a wedding even if we were practically dying but as professionals, we do have a list of colleagues that we could call to assist or even take over for us in the event that we got sick or injured before your wedding.

You generally get what you pay for. Every once in a while you might get lucky but why chance it?

If you are looking for snapshots, give everyone a disposable. Tell them to stand really close, because you won't be in focus, and if they stand close enough to be in focus, you will be a big white ghost.
And all that stuff behind you will be gone from all the direct flash.

People wonder about why certain people make a lot of money in photography. I've even heard friends of theirs call it a rip off.

A rip off is some half baked quack with some 4L lens, shooting upwards in a gymnasium. Great shots of the grates, exit signs and grills.

A pro has this figured out, and can take the roughest of weddings, receptions, and make them look like the most romantic, most fun venues ever.

That is the difference between quack and an artist.

This is sooooo true. It takes true talent and experience to pull off a wedding shoot and make it look like a million bucks...and to do that consistently. There are a lot of expenses and preparation that the photographer needs to worry about. I haven't even been paid to a wedding shoot yet, but just from my limited experience as someone who wants to learn and improve, I can tell you that it is NOT easy. And for some non photographers to say that it is a "rip off" just shows that they have no idea what it takes to do the job professionally and come through with photos that are meant to be once in a lifetime.

I have a friend who hired a photography student that was interning as a photographer as well, for his wedding simply because, as in your case he wanted to spare or at least minimize the expense. What he got in return for his "minimal" investment, were reasonably well exposed shots, most were in focus but not all, deep shadows under the eye's in many of the shots because he had no flash and the wedding was held outside at around noon and totally devoid of any creativity. In fact his shots were no better than the average family photographer with a fully automatic camera would produce. Fortunately for he and his bride, they actually got photos to look back on about there special day. But I have heard him regret not hiring a professional. I have also seen the worse case scenario where the "student photographer" had a problem and came back with nothing. IMHO your wedding should last a lifetime and so should your photo's.

When the wedding is over, what are you left with? A couple of rings and a bunch of kitchen appliances that you will hardly ever use....oh, and the photos. If you are looking to skimp on somthing or save money...look at many areas and don't concentrate on the photography. I'm not saying that you have to spend thousands of dollars but just think about what will be important...both on the day and for the rest of your life.

Hiring a student might work out and might not. I'd suggest looking around for a wedding photographer who has less expensive packages. Often, photographers have lower prices when they are starting out...and if you pick a good one then you can get great photos for a good price.

I agree with everybody on the disposables...they are not worth it when you figure in the cost and developing. You mostly get kid's fingers and drunk people's buts. :roll: What I would suggest, is putting out cards and asking people to e-mail you their photos. It's likely that a good number of guests will have their own digital cameras and the ones with film cameras can get them on CD for $1 or so. It will still be a bunch of snap shots but it's much cheaper. This is for the reception anyway. I still think it's best to hire a pro for the ceremony and formals.

Good luck and best wishes on your upcoming wedding.

And now for something completely different. :wink:

I personally think it's highly commendable to want to save money on your wedding budget. Far too many couples are pressured into spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on an event that lasts all of, what, a couple of hours. You CAN find talented photographers for your wedding without breaking the bank.

I have ONE photo from my wedding - and it was taken with a crappy little point-and-shoot. My husband's and my life together is no less fulfilled because we don't have a leather album full of photos that cost us two months' worth of mortgage payments. My philosophy is and always has been that it's the marriage itself that counts, that makes the memories - not the pricey photos or the perfect flowers or whatever. (But then, I am the polar opposite of a romantic spirit, so grain of salt and all that.)

I personally would recommend investigating local colleges for photography students. Ask to look at their portfolios. Find out what kind of equipment they have. A lot of these students are very, very good, and they'll most likely be more than happy for the work and experience. I wouldn't hesitate to hire a student if you find one that you feel you can trust.

And if you want to put a few disposable cameras around the reception hall for guests to take candids, go for that, too. My sister-in-law did this at her wedding (she used black and white disposables), and she loved the results. It was fun for her to see her and her husband's big day through the eyes of her guests. She had a pretty small wedding and only used about 5 or 6 disposables, so the cost of developing the film was pretty low.

In any case, remember that in the end, it's all up to you and your fiance. Go with whatever makes you comfortable.

I'm not sure a forum where people make a living with photogaphy is a good place to ask how to avoid hiring a good professional photographer.

I was just thinking the same thing myself...

I'll second (or 3rd or 4th wherever it may be by now) the idea of hiring a student. I wouldn't hire an intro student, but I would contact the local college and try speaking with one of the photography professors, and ask him if he felt that any of his or her students were ready take on the challenge.

You could get out for even less if the instructor agrees to give the student who shoots class credit for doing the work. Or split the fee...pay to the student, and a donation to the school's photography department.

In the end, yes, it is a gamble, and you have to be willing to accept the risk. The student will likely do his/her level best, but may not pull it off. Or, you may end up with the most beautiful photographs you've ever laid your eyes on.

If you're not willing to take the risk, hire a pro and swallow the bill. It is just like anything else where you spend your cash...if you buy quality, you only have to cry once. But, at the same time, I've seen some honest to goodness $hit being churned out by so called professional photographers.

Obviously people on a photography forum are going to prize photos. (although I do agree that if you spend money on anything at a wedding it should be the photography). But, wedding pictures aren't that important to everyone or simply not affordable for everyone. I had a friend of the family shoot my wedding and we got some nice basic, uncreative shots. Looking back, I'm glad I have something to remember the day but I'm so happy I chose to spend the money on the honeymoon instead of a big fancy wedding.

More power to you if you want to have a budget wedding, but if you're having a nice fancy wedding you'd better get a nice fancy photographer. That being said, just look at their portfolio. I've seen student portfolios that rival the pros, and some that I wouldn't even trust with the disposable cameras.

it was tough for me to spend $3000 for a wedding photographer for my own wedding... but i want to make sure i have the best photos of my own wedding and my wife definitely won't allow me to take my camera down the aisle.

if you have a certain look or needs, expect to pay more $$ for that look.
if you just want average photos, you will get an average photographer at an average price.

A spamma, a ramma, a spamma ramma ding dong! This is spam. The same post is on photo forums all over the web.

A spamma, a ramma, a spamma ramma ding dong! This is spam. The same post is on photo forums all over the web.

You know what I thought that. Click the link at the bottom and it takes you to a forum (empty)

The problem I see is that you are taking a huge gamble on a once in a lifetime event.
You might luck out, but you might end up with a ton of underexposed direct flashed orange shots.
yeah if your photos get messed up, your wife not will only kill you but no sex for life, ouch.

My only problem with hiring a student is that I will want to see a portfolio of their work and create a working contract. I’ll also want to make sure that they know how to work with large groups of people.

Let's see, you need a portfolio, a contract, customer relations, and posing skills. Hmmm... sounds like you need a professional photographer. :)

It's like stone soup. You only need a stone and water, but some meat and veggies would perk it up a bit.

Most reactions

Back