How to remove red fringing?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by RobNZ, Apr 8, 2010.

1. RobNZ

RobNZ TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am after a little advice on the simplest way to remove the red fringing seen on the rocks and tree line?

A method for Paintshop Pro X2 ideally, however I am sure I could adapt photoshop tips as well.

[​IMG]

C&C welcome, I thinks its ok (for the style I shoot) but lacks something really special, my wife however really likes it.

2. RobNZ

RobNZ TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Too hard basket?

3. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

Did you shoot with RAW format? If yes, use the software that shipped with the Canon EOS camera (Digital Photo Professional) to remove chromatic aberrations (CA)

4. Dwig

Dwig TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The "red fringing" is not a sensor based CA issue, thus it can't be fixed by using the CA adjustments during RAW conversion.

The cause is largely flare with possibly a small amount of lens based chromatic aberration (a totally different animal than sensor based CA) that results in some of the very deep red (near IR) to not focus at the same point as most of the rest of the spectrum. This slightly out of focus light records in the red channel. It is normally quite dim and of little effect, but when such an extremely bright sky is against such dark foreground objects there is enough of it to be visible.

The only fix is to create a very accurate mask and then darken the masked area of red fringing.

5. Big

Big TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What I do is (if you have photoshop) go to filters, distort, lens correction, and then adjust the fringing levels. OR... I also go to hue/saturation and choose the color and turn the saturation and lightness down. I'm sure there are better ways but that's my method.