How to resize pics. properly??

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by emo, Feb 2, 2006.

1. emo

emo TPF Noob!

i know this is somehow a silly question, :er: but i want to know how do you resize your image when posting here?? because i saw many pics. here with small dimension but still in very good quality.. most of the time when i do resize my pics. lines are coming out it looses the quality of the image.. ;)

2. HoboSyke

HoboSyke TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I use Adobe Photoshop to resize my pictures.
    What program are you currently using? Windows paint?

3. Soul Rebel

Soul Rebel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gimp. I am too poor to have Photoshop and Gimp does pretty much everything that I would want.

4. damian5000

damian5000 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know I've been posting this all over when someone asks... But only because this program has been a great help to me. Picasa2 from Google. You can export multiple photos to a folder at a preset resolution of your choosing. (320/480/640/800/1024). As well as choose the .jpg compression ratio. Also allows you to resize and email in one step, which has saved me huge amounts of time. Has some quick handy edits available too.

- Damian

5. emo

emo TPF Noob!

thanks for your replies..
    i have Adobe Photo Deluxe Home Editoin 4.0, but the problem on that it cannot save as .jpg file.. & i also have ACDSee 5.0, but it doesnt have features like cloning & others..

6. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

7. JonathanM

JonathanM TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I appeared to have this problem with Photoshop Elements 4.0, and what I found is that if you go to Image>Mode> and deselect 8bits per channel it allows .jpeg as a save option. I'm not computer literate enough to know why, or even if this is the correct way of going about saving in jpeg, but it seems to work for me.

I received excellent advise from the management of the forum when entering this months challenge on how to resize, and basically they advised me to resize first to quite a small resolution (400x600 IIRC) and then this means you don't need to use a lot of file compression, which can lower the image quality a lot.

8. markc

markc TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a bicubic resample for resizing, and then sharpen for that size (smart sharpen for CS2 and unsharp mask for others). A subtle sharpen can make a big difference, but don't overdo it. The artifacts look horrible.

9. ChopstickHero

ChopstickHero TPF Noob!

just do a search on google for free file sizing programs, there are lots.

but yeah, Photoshop rules.

10. Just to throw out all options: if you're competent at Photoshop, and are not price-sensitive, you can download a Photoshop Action from Fred Miranda. It costs around $20, but will do a stellar job of sizing images up and down. The process is called Stair Interpolation, and can be mind-numbingly boring if you are going to do it by hand. It's worth it if you need to resize a lot of images. Look for SI Pro 2 at http://www.fredmiranda.com/software/.

Btw, my current thumbnail is a good example of what happens to an image if it is poorly resized. I will fix this once I find some time.

11. emo

emo TPF Noob!

thank you all for your replies & suggestions.. hhmmm.. LOL i cannot decide which software i'll try first... :D which of those softwares has a good interface??

12. jcharcalla

jcharcalla TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I like to use the FREE tool Irfan view for all my resizing or quick croping. Personally I don't think I could live without this program. I think it makes better jpegs then photoshop too. Just make sure you set the Size method to Resample filter Lanczos and it works great.

Here is the link. http://www.irfanview.com/