How to save up for equipment?

ItsssRyne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
To put it simply; how do you guys afford all of your equipment?

Lenses, Tripods, Flashes, Bags, Batteries, and Lighting all seem so very expensive. Getting decent glass can be twice as much as your actual camera itself.

Is there anything in particular that you do to save money?

Personally I start a miniature fund for myself, a piggy bank if you will, and basically whenever I have money to spare I add it to my fund. A few dollars here and there and all my loose change can really add up in six months.

Let's pool together some ideas and help everyone out. Because lets face it; we all want better stuff.

I don't smoke, drink, drive expensive vehicles, like loud thumping stereos, or buy tickets to sporting events. No motorcycle/jet-ski/4-wheeler.

Being single with no kids helps, too.

Haha cool. Anything short of whoring yourself out to 1000 fat chicks for 50 bucks helps.

I think scrounging and saving makes your camera all the more special when you finally get it. I Remember when I got mine. Held it like a baby for the first month. Now it's like an extension of my body.

I guess I could also cut back on the fine dining and bring my lunch to work everyday. That's save about 40 bucks a week. Mowing a few lawns would also help on the weekends.
Anyone here work at a restaurant? I hear the tips are nice.

I actually worked as a bus boy a few years back I got about 200-250 dollars tip a day depending on how busy it was ofcourse. But the killer was minimum wage.

Actually my camera hobby is on the very cheap compared to motorcycle racing, dirt bikes, and street bikes, but I work, invest, and save pennies

tractag.jpg

u save over the years, i started with a gifted nikon d5000 and a kit lens. I saved up to buy camera gear over the course of 3 years, I have a decent kit "now" but still nothing pro. If you NEED pro gear, u can afford to buy it, photography as a career is actually pretty affordable to get into. You can have a pretty respectable equipment for less than $10,000, the rest is experience and talent. $10,000 isnt that much to start a new business, ofcourse this isnt getting the cost of studio and such if u need one but you can improvise. As a hobbyist however it gets expensive, but not that much more than anything else, anything quality costs money.

Actually my camera hobby is on the very cheap compared to motorcycle racing, dirt bikes, and street bikes, but I work, invest, and save pennies

not to hijack the thread... but yea this is true

btw are you in the picture of the moto race. What kind of bike do u ride?

I paid off my debts, have a good job, commute by bicycle so I save hundreds of dollars in gas money. I have two cars, but they're both old so I have no car payments. I'm single, no kids.. mostly it's the good job though. I do always buy used if I can to get cheaper prices. I also sell off old stuff to 'replenish' my bank account after I get something new.

Yes sir thats me dragging a knee puck, I do a Honda 600RR on the track, various litre leaners and 600's on the street, and a Honda XR650L as ADV/dual sport. A 47 I'm getting too old for it, but photo college and work travel has kept me off the bikes lately

Yes sir thats me dragging a knee puck, I do a Honda 600RR on the track, various litre leaners and 600's on the street, and a Honda XR650L as ADV/dual sport. A 47 I'm getting too old for it, but photo college and work travel has kept me off the bikes lately
i had a f4i for 2mnths but after getting an insurance quote for $8000 (age...) i traded it in for a cbr125 (insurance now at $2000) i still cant get a knee down on the 125.
I plan on doing an across america tour on the bike at the end of the year, maybe we an meet up and ride ;)

sorry for hijacking thread!!!

But as u can see motorcycling hobbies are more expensive than slr

125 is nice! I did a x-country trip last July. Stop by Tampa if you're out and about. OP, sorry about the moto chat.

You sir, are awesome.

I too have a love for motorcycles. Came incredibly close to buying one about a year ago. Couldn't afford it of course. But I will someday.

Back to topic, I'm considering getting a job waiting tables. It'd be a great way to meet some clients for photography and I'd make a killing in tips.

It'd be way better than my current job. I got yelled at for making 1 hr. overtime and had my hours cut.

Back to motorcycles, yes you are awesome sir. I'd love to do some photography with a sexy bike like that. Then probably do some other things when no ones looking. :thumbup:

If its a hobby, then you need to have a GOOD job :)
If its a job, then you start slowly, borrow here/there a glass/body/flash to shoot the job, and 10-20% of profit towards new gear. Used gear is another options.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back