How to set up this chicken shot tomorrow

redbourn

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
best-food.info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took this with my phone earlier just to try and get some ideas about what to do about it when I try to get a good photo for my book tomorrow.

First thing that springs to mind is to probably separate the chicken and potato with the beans.

A piece of butter or margarine in the potato?
lemon chicken1.jpg

It was a very big potato but I didn't have any smaller ones.

Maybe the slices of lemon with the skins pointing up in front of the chicken?

Fresh lemon would not be authentic but would probably look better.

Any thoughts and ideas would be much appreciated.

The most important things you can do are to include the entire potato in the frame and clean up the background. For instance, in the upper left hand corner of the frame is an area where the doily doesn't cover the table. It draws the eye away from the subject. Perhaps you could substitute a tablecloth or something that will do the same thing. I would also fuss around with the plate cropping. Perhaps showing the entire plate would put more attention on the subject. Perhaps it would work to crop the same amount on both sides of the plate. Looks delicious.

The most important things you can do are to include the entire potato in the frame and clean up the background. For instance, in the upper left hand corner of the frame is an area where the doily doesn't cover the table. It draws the eye away from the subject. Perhaps you could substitute a tablecloth or something that will do the same thing. I would also fuss around with the plate cropping. Perhaps showing the entire plate would put more attention on the subject. Perhaps it would work to crop the same amount on both sides of the plate. Looks delicious.

Thanks for the tips! I won't be able to shoot it for real until tomorrow. Almost everything is closed here and I need a smaller baking potato and some lemons. I have a feeling that using uncooked or partly cooked lemons will look better although less authentic.

The food was excellent but cooking is my forté and not photography but am slowly getting better and both.

Skinless Chicken Breasts In Lemon And Herbs

Serves 4

Prep time15 min
Cook time 35 min
Inactive 10 min
Total Time 1 hr

Ingredients
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (keep the tenders for a different meal!)
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 tbsp minced garlic (9 cloves)
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice and one additional lemon
1 tbsp grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil

Heat oven to 400°F, 205°C
Fry garlic over medium heat in small pot for just one minute and don't let it turn brown.
Remove from heat, add white wine, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano, thyme, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Pour mixture into a baking dish large enough to hold the chicken.
Pat the chicken breasts dry and place them over the sauce.
Brush chicken with oil and sprinkle liberally with coarse salt and pepper.
Cut the lemon in 8 wedges and tuck it among the pieces of chicken.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken breasts, until the chicken is done and is lightly browned.
160°F, 70°C on an internal thermometer or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
If the chicken isn't browned enough, put it under the broiler for 2 minutes.
Cover with aluminum foil and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle with table salt and serve hot with the pan juices.

Thanks for the recipe. I will actually use it but I might use tarragon instead of oregano. One more thing. One of the tricks of the food photography trade is to have some steam rising from the food so that it looks hot. You can usually get this done with a minute or two in a microwave oven just prior to exposure.

Thanks for the recipe. I will actually use it but I might use tarragon instead of oregano. One more thing. One of the tricks of the food photography trade is to have some steam rising from the food so that it looks hot. You can usually get this done with a minute or two in a microwave oven just prior to exposure.

Tarragon is very good with fish and chicken and also eggs.

I like the steam idea and will try it. Tried to create it in PS but without great success.

Was thinking of using it for an overhead shot the other day but decided against it.

no more shiny white plates please.

Personally, I would replace the Skinless Chicken Breasts In Lemon and Herbs with Fried Chicken.
SouthernFriedChicken.jpg

But that's just me and it's a cultural thing. :allteeth:

Personally, I would replace the Skinless Chicken Breasts In Lemon and Herbs with Fried Chicken.
SouthernFriedChicken.jpg

There are hundreds and maybe thousands of different recipes and your one and mine are different.

I hope you don't only eat one of them ;-)

I have a photo for my book which is fairly similar to the one above and it's made by coating the chicken with mayonnaise and unsweetened corn flakes.

And it, and the lemon one will both be in the book when I get the photos right.

I want 8-10 different recipes in my book.

SouthernFriedChicken.jpg

There are hundreds and maybe thousands of different recipes and your one and mine are different.

I hope you don't only eat one of them ;-)

I have a photo for my book which is fairly similar to the one above and it's made by coating the chicken with mayonnaise and unsweetened corn flakes.

And it, and the lemon one will both be in the book when I get the photos right.

I want 8-10 different recipes in my book.

I must respectfully disagree. Where I am from chicken is fried! Served with mashed potatoes, white cream gravy, corn on the cob, biscuits with honey and Gooey Butter Cake for dessert.

All other foods may be used in a wide variety of recipes and ways. Not Chicken. It is a uni-tacker in my culinary world. It and a cast iron skillet with 375 degree oil were made for each other.:biggrin-93: :lol:

By no means an authority on anything, but my understanding of food photography is that the subject very seldom is the actual prepared dish, and in some case isn't even food. It might be a cultural thing, but the chicken coloring is not appealing. In the south it's fried (nice golden brown) or grilled (grill marks). Some light grill marks on that breast would help. Fresh lemons would be good, or even grill some lemons long enough to get the grill marks on them as well.

By no means an authority on anything, but my understanding of food photography is that the subject very seldom is the actual prepared dish, and in some case isn't even food. It might be a cultural thing, but the chicken coloring is not appealing. In the south it's fried (nice golden brown) or grilled (grill marks). Some light grill marks on that breast would help. Fresh lemons would be good, or even grill some lemons long enough to get the grill marks on them as well.

I could add fresh lemons but it's cooked with lemons which makes it problematic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back