How to shoot a Trail Run?

Corbin Lane

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well this Friday, a friend is going to go on a 5k trail run and he wants me to shoot some photos, What would be the best advise on how to do it? Should I set up on the start line, Should I setup somewhere in the middle of the track? or should I wait at the finish line? Basically what I'm asking what would get me the best photos while he is running?

will you be able to shoot the start, jump in a car then shoot the end?

well im sure a starting shot or an ending shot is better than a mid run shot

both is much better though :D

I wouldn't at the beginning - you might not even be able to see her. If anything at the end, but if you could get both the middle and end that would be ideal :)

Start could be difficult depending on how many people are running it. But I agree, if possible, start and finish pictures would be ideal.

Oops- Posted this at the exact same time as the one above and it says pretty much the same things, so...what she said. :)

Start could be difficult depending on how many people are running it. But I agree, if possible, start and finish pictures would be ideal.

Oops- Posted this at the exact same time as the one above and it says pretty much the same things, so...what she said. :)
Alright everyone, Thanks for the help.

If you're really fit and your friend isn't, out-run him and stop every so often to get some shots in when he catches up ;)

If you're really fit and your friend isn't, out-run him and stop every so often to get some shots in when he catches up ;)
I thought about that but he does 6 min miles and I only do 8 so I'm out of luck there.

I shoot Cross Country in the Fall. The key is to get there early and get a map of the course. The start and finish are probably very close together. The course probably loops around to where you could get to several spots along the route. I wear tennis shoes and I am not in terrible shape so I move a lot. Finish line always has some good expressions as the runners are tired and giving it one last effort. If there are any obstacles on the course then those are good spots also. I shot this event last year, what a blast
http://gpimages.smugmug.com/gallery/3571508_4n28j

When they see the title, one could be tempted to say "With a camera, of course!"

Other than that, know the trail and know any shortcuts you can take to get from place to place.

May seem obvious but sometimes isn't when you are standing there. Take as many shots as you can when your friend is running up to you. Fill up your card. hehe

Unless you are a pro with continuous focus and great at panning with the subject, most of the images will end up soft or all out blurry. With a good number of pics, you will end up with several keepers.

Good Luck!

I know that when I run I like it when people get the start and the end right before the finish line especially because the runners will be really tired and really will have good emotion on their face. But that's just what I like. And the start because of all the confusion and fusion of all the runners coming together.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back