How to shoot all silver jewelry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silver jewelry is very difficult to photograph because it reflects in numerous cases up to 99% of the light it receives. It is very polished above all it may contain color stones or diamonds that make the job even harder. We have done some exquisite photography for our own products. You can see them here 925SILVER4U

Read "Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting." There's an entire chapter on how to shoot metal and other shiny things.

Throw the darn tent away, read LS&M and start with a lens at least 2-3X normal f.l. (after reading about family of angles and how they relate to reflections).

For jewelry and other reflective objects, I prefer a more thoughtful approach, slowly building highlights using fill cards, then black cards to emphasis form and shape.

Throw the darn tent away, read LS&M and start with a lens at least 2-3X normal f.l. (after reading about family of angles and how they relate to reflections).

For jewelry and other reflective objects, I prefer a more thoughtful approach, slowly building highlights using fill cards, then black cards to emphasis form and shape.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I couldn't agree more.

-Pete

Pete, that dulling spray looks pretty interesting do you have much experience with it? I am mainly wondering how easy it is to clean off as most of what i am shooting are products that my wife will be selling as well.

I use it now and again in my job. I find it works wonders for removing bright reflections and hot spots, but can sometimes dull the product to the point of simply not being shiny any more.

EDIT: Posted this before noticing there was a whole other page of replies. Oh well.

Why? The OP is gone. The best answer has already been given. This thread is now spammer heaven...notice all the links to silver jewelery?

*thread locked because its just attracting spam now*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back