How to shoot moving cars?

ckrieg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photos.gad.ca
Yes, I can shoot driving cars, I've done it before by panning or speed matching in another car. But whenever I look at Easton Chang's pictures, I'm always amazed, and wonder how he does this. Is he able to get two cars at the same speed and at the same turning radius? Is that how it's done? I can't be done by a bracket attached to the car that's being shot, because you can see the whole car.

In the picture of the blue 350, you can't even see a camera in the reflection. Due to post processing maybe? It says in his profile, that basically, all of his pictures are so great because of post processing.

bmwjs5.jpg

3502ku4.jpg

350nm9.jpg

nsxet4.jpg

tegov8.jpg

All pictures taken from Easton's website at: www.eastonchang.com

I think you've answered your own question. It's not as much about the photography as the editing.

if the car is moving, simply use panning instead:
You set your camera at a lower shutter speed. Then pan the car's way and as you hit the realase, continue your pan. Never tried it though but believe me, a tripod is a need.

otherwise, photoshop.

oh yea, paning works, but not when the car is making a 360 degree or 180 degree turn like any of the cars above.

Paning only works whenthe car is going in a straight line (at least at that shutter speed) After doing some more research, I've found that a rig is required (camera IS attached to the bottom or side of the car) and then the rid is just edited out in photoshop :)

Azuth said:
I think you've answered your own question. It's not as much about the photography as the editing.

I agree

ckrieg said:
oh yea, paning works, but not when the car is making a 360 degree or 180 degree turn like any of the cars above.

Paning only works whenthe car is going in a straight line (at least at that shutter speed) After doing some more research, I've found that a rig is required (camera IS attached to the bottom or side of the car) and then the rid is just edited out in photoshop :)

Actually panning works best when the car is travelling in an arc with you standing somewhere near the centre. Keeping the car in the FOV longer than if it were travelling in a straight line.

It is definately all editing or I read from Motor Trend or some car magazine that they rig a camera, they bolted on a long metal arm and the camera is bolted on to the arm. Here is a photo I did
d.jpg

This was taken past sunset, it was a little bit hard, too a couple of tries but i got it.

Okay. What the hell does "panning" a shot mean?

I've never heard that term used before. Englighten me ears.

Speaking of Easton Chang's work, how does he get his shots to look "surreal" like it's kinda cartoon-ish? Things look really HDR.

Lighting???? or Post processing???

I don't think it's possible for the amateur photographer to get shots like Easton Chang or Evan Klein...however, good shots can be made if you put your head, your editing skills and your camera together.

u need a rig for those shots, and those are heavily PSd for magazine purposes
edit: nm, saw u found out what is needed

and for above, panning means following an object as it moves, keeping it in focus but with a slower shutter

LM16.jpg

Most reactions

Back