How to Stop Lightroom auto adding derivatives

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I use lightroom to process my RAWs and then do a finishing stage in Photoshop. However whenever I save photos in photoshop lightroom then auto-adds them into itself. Is there any way I can disable this feature? I really don't want to double the number of shots I've got on show from a large set as it just creates a huge mess to work with.

Or have I just got to make sets/groups in lightroom and ignore it auto-adding everything it can like that?

As I use LR as the database to find photos I keep the link so files come back from the external editor into LR (and can have those go into a Collection to keep it easy to work with). I think that if you do not want the photo to come back into LR then just change the file name while in PS. If LR is making a virtual copy when you send to PS then go to LightRoom-Preferences (Edit-Preferenes for PC), External Editing and turn off Stack with Original. Not sure if there is a way to just turn it off other than to break the link by changing the file name.

You might be able to change that in >preferences>external editing...

Are you using the 'Edit in...' command to send the photos to PS? Because that command is basically made to send the image to an external program and then bring it back in. If you don't want to bring it back into Lightroom, then maybe you should just export the image from LR, then open them directly with PS.

Or, you could try doing 'Edit in...' but then rather than save, do a save-as.

Personally, I always want my photos to come back into LR because then I have the finished images in my LR catalog/archive.

There's some like option checkbox to disable what you want. Where, I can't tell you at the moment :p

Most reactions

Back