How to Summer | Ice Cream | Sun

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is how miss Lily enjoys the summer. Warm sun on her skin, ice-cream all over the place, and surrounded by those who love her. :)

_RSP5733 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

P.S., Critiques? I'm not much of a shoot-into-the-sun-to-get-cool-flare guy, so I'd love feedback on that.

Bump for critique..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The flare works for me in that it's not a distraction. Maybe a little more room on the left side.

Other than that, me likes :) Great back light and great eyes!

She is adorable! Definitely a beautiful moment captured. My nits would be only to tone down the magenta on her skin (and that could be just from my monitor, of course), and the crescent-shaped yellow mark on the wrist is drawing my eye.

The flare works for me in that it's not a distraction. Maybe a little more room on the left side.

Other than that, me likes :) Great back light and great eyes!

Thanks! Turns out that the few backlit frames I took ended up looking much much better than the side lit frames. I'm impressed with how well the 105 macro handled the light, too. Incredibly sharp (this was at f3.3).

Cheers!
Jake

I think it looks awesome. She's beautiful! Those eyes! I think it was very well executed and will most definitely be a keeper/framer.

Adorable! Agree about those eyes, what a heart breaker she'll be..
I don't know how you do this type of shot but wow!

Nancy, it's easy! Place the subject between you and the sun. Don't use a hood on your lens, try and include the sun in the frame (often times just in the upper corner of the frame works). Expose for the face, but try and be sure you don't blow out the highlights too much. You might need to up the face in post processing, but it works pretty well.

Cheers!
Jake

P.S., here's the file as it came out of the camera.

ok Jake... you asked for c&c

For me, this needs a lot of work.... blown out square shape in the bg, too much of blown out hair, framing is bad. Her body, head and eyes are turned away from you. The only reason I find the picture is cute, is because she's smeared with ice cream.

Sorry, but that's what I see... if you're attached to the girl (your niece I assume) you won't care... if you want to capture a beautiful portrait of her you'll have to put more effort in it.

Shooting toddlers isn't easy at all. You can't pose them, you just have to follow them around,snap many pictures and pay attention to details.

ok Jake... you asked for c&c

For me, this needs a lot of work.... blown out square shape in the bg, too much of blown out hair, framing is bad. Her body, head and eyes are turned away from you. The only reason I find the picture is cute, is because she's smeared with ice cream.

Sorry, but that's what I see... if you're attached to the girl (your niece I assume) you won't care... if you want to capture a beautiful portrait of her you'll have to put more effort in it.

Shooting toddlers isn't easy at all. You can't pose them, you just have to follow them around,snap many pictures and pay attention to details.

Maria, thanks for the honest critique. I agree the blown square is less than ideal, and also that she isn't facing me. I do however disagree about the framing and blown hair highlights. How could I have improved the composition? I didn't clip anything obvious, I filled the frame, etc. That being said, I'm no pro at this "backlit" shot. In terms of those blown hair highlights, I might have been able to control those, but would non-blown highlights make sense? It's a strongly backlit photo, and in my head, it makes sense to have some blown highlights.

Jake, those blown out highlights are perfectly nice in your sooc ... but edited version is too much

framing and composition... her body language is saying that she's probably looking at/ her mum or dad or idk at who, not at the photographer... brightest part of the picture isn't her face but that square shape and that bright green saturated area around her neck and our eyes are drawn to the brightest part of the picture...

your landscape shots shows that you're comfortable and confident in that area. this isn't your at the level of your landscape shots.

anyway... it's jmho ... sorry if it's not what you want to hear... on the other hand, I might be the only only one who thinks this way

:)

have a lovely day!

Use flash fill with back lit subjects.

But I didn't have one with me! And I refuse to use the onboard flash.

But yes, I do know that. Hadn't planned for a photoshoot. More of a "oh uncle jake take a picture cause you have your camera and she looks cute" shot.

Jake

Most reactions

Back