How to take photo like these?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by becu, Jul 28, 2006.

1. becu

becu TPF Noob!

Hi,
    I have some products to sell. I tried many different ways to produce the best images, but the results were not as expected.

I would like a complete (or almost) 100% pure white background for my photos. I found some samples:
    http://koston.us/silver_nycity/gallery/dir389/47_IMG_2513.jpg
    http://koston.us/silver_nycity/gallery/dir389/49_IMG_2515.jpg
    http://koston.us/silver_nycity/gallery/dir389/58_IMG_2525.jpg

do you happen to know what techniques he/she might use? Those pix have a perfect white background.

Any suggestion? Please help a newbie taking some photos.

Thanks.

2. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    could have been a dental type flash around a closeup lens. They make a circular stobelight that is a ring around the camera lens. Could also be a very careful airbursh.. Someone else would know more

3. pursuer

pursuer TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It may have been a white material illuminated from below. By adjusting the brightness of bottom light you can also control the intensity of the shadows from the top lights.

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    A Chair, thick white table cloth (ironed smooth), a bunch of lights from home depot, and a digital SLR. White balance and Meter off of the plain white lite background then over expose it 2-3 stops... might take a bit of experimentation but not too difficult.

[​IMG]

As for jewelry.. I don't have experience but people have told me the shiny reflections from the jewels and polished metal is a bit tricky. I believe there is a inert solution that you can apply to "dull" down the finish enough for a good photo then wipe clean afterwards.

6. W.Smith

W.Smith TPF Noob!

Avoid messing with fluids and jewelry if at all possible. A light tent, a light bench, a polarizer and polarized light, will give you all the control you want.

7. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A white piece of plex lit from the bottom, works every time, great for reflective things because you never want something reflective to go dark. Just wipe the jewelry to get rid of fingerprints. Jewelry polishing cloth works great. You don't want to dull the finish, that would take away from the image. Use a polarizer and a cross star filter, softens just enough.

8. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    Digital Matt is correct [I think he's almost as clever as me] the shots aren't great at all, and definately look photoshopped, not too well, but probably in line with the quality of the photography. I wouldn't use a light tent, you wash out the image and lose contrast, just the careful use of one light and very small mirrors is the way to go.
    www.philipweirphotography.com