How to take real IR images with a digital camera?

gl600

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey,
I have seen many IR photographs that were taken with a normal average digital camera, how do they do it?
I read an article in a magazine that someone converted their Nikon d80 to take IR images... do you have to do that?
Thanks
EDIT: I actually found some pretty good articles on the subject.
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/
http://www.dpfwiw.com/ir.htm

Last edited:
A simple way to determine if a digital camera is capable of capturing infrared images is to point your TV remote (or any other infrared remote) at the camera and push some buttons while looking through the viewfinder. If the infrared sensor on the remote lights up, then the camera is capable, since it's not filtering IR light. All you would need is an IR filter.

I believe most DSLRS block IR light, and would need to be converted. Once it's converted, that camera body would be good for nothing else.

There are also Photoshop techniques that do a good job of simulating an IR image.

What you see as the "Sensor" inside your dSLR is actually a filter over the sensor. It blocks IR, so most dSLR's don't do a very good job with IR photography. You can use many, however, if you are willing to accept very long exposure times (put a filter in front of the lens). If you want to do it right, however, get a converted camera (they take the filter out). It will no longer be good for regular photography, however.

Here's one link:

wrotniak.net: Infrared Photography with a Digital Camera

One of these days I'm going to get an old 10D or 20D and get it converted ....

After doing some more research I found this sight where the guy will do the conversion for you (or sell you an already converted camera.)
Digital Infrared at Jim Chen photography
Sounds like he does a great job and knows what he's talking about.
I'm gonna put this on my to do list somewhere below buying the D90. :)

also , check out maxmax or life pixel for converting.

some of the older digital camera will allow one to use an IR filter, as the blocking sensor is not as strong as the newer cameras.

find an older minolta dimage or sony cyber shot, they do a pretty good job,

you will also need an IR filter , you might start with a 720nm one

Most reactions

Back