How to take this photo? Suspended straps?

I looked on Google, there are no specific, I mean, ANY articles on this particular type of photography that's why I made an account here just to ask this question to Photographers.

Guess I'm a little confused as to which part of the process your getting hung up on.

You can use something like fishing line to pull the straps into position and photograph. Or you can hang them on a colored plastic clothes hanger and use photoshop to edit the hanger out of the photograph by selecting by color.

You could use a metal clothes hanger, cut and bend it to the desired shape, then attach it to the back side of the straps to give them the shape/form you want, then photograph.

Or you could realize that most people don't give two hoots about what the straps look like other than how wide and padded they are, what they are mostly interested in when buying a backpack is the interior - and concentrate your efforts there.

Maybe how i can use the fishing line? How will i hang the fishing lines? I am taking the photos on a white backdrop. Do I tape the fishing lines? I do not have sufficient wall space and the ceiling is far above. I just want to know the technical details. A step by step guide.

Maybe how i can use the fishing line? How will i hang the fishing lines? I am taking the photos on a white backdrop. Do I tape the fishing lines? I do not have sufficient wall space and the ceiling is far above. I just want to know the technical details. A step by step guide.

If using fishing line you can just tape it to the walls ceiling with masking tape, or hold the end by hand or make a frame to fix it to or if your setting is suitable tie it to fixtures/furniture.... The options are endless & depend on your studio. You need to apply a little ingenuity as any step by step guide will be based on someone else's equipment.

Alternatively others suggested stiff wire to mold the straps to shape masking tape or clothes pins could be used for that. A little experimentation will soon solve any problems.

... I just want to know the technical details. A step by step guide.
That's all? Only "a step by step guide"? How can anyone who's not seen your studio tell you where to suspend the fishing line from? If it were me I'd just set up a background stand or boom over the set and use that. You can also use one of the dozen or so other methods suggested here... you can even buy a clear plastic torso form and use that.

If I had dozens of packs with flappy straps (as opposed to hiking packs whose straps will hold their shape) and I needed to shoot them with the straps in a molded form; I'd make wire forms for the straps and use a cross bar to hold them together, then attach that to a grip arm. It wouldn't take long in Ps to remove the apparatus and it would give the desired shape, consistently, from pack to pack. That's the thing with still life product shooting, there is often set building involved. ;)

Well with no idea how big the space is, what sort of material the wall is made out of, whether or not you can put a nail in the wall, etc, etc, etc.. ad infinitum.. there would be no way to write a step by step guide.

This is just one of those things you'll have to work out yourself by trial and error. This is going to require at least a bit of effort on your part I'm afraid.

I don't see how support of the straps is really 'technical details'. IMO that would refer more to lens/aperture/lighting etc.
If there was room I'd probably use my 50mm /1.7 shut down to around f8 on my DSLR using 2 diffused lights, one either side & Id have the camera mounted on a tripod as m lights aren't particularly powerful....
A large light tent could work very well too (that might also give somewhere to fix the fishing line) but I doubt the one I have available would be big enough.
If it came to it, out in the garden with the kit lens & a reflector would work OK too if the weather was agreeable. Even there finding things to support the lines wouldn't take too long!

[/QUOTE]
Really? You want to poke that bear?[/QUOTE]
Yes John, haven't you heard the USA was emboldened on Tuesday night
I just love that saying...'poking the bear'.....

I give full credit to the photos that are not mine.
Doing that is a common mistake many make because they think it makes unauthorized use (infringement) of someone else's copyrighted image OK, but it doesn't.
Another common mistake is thinking that if you don't make money from an unauthorized that also makes it OK, but it doesn't
U.S. Copyright Office
Copyright Law of the United States | U.S. Copyright Office
In particular, see section 107 of Copyright Law of the United States. Though you'll discover that determining if you can or can't use someone else's photo without permission is nowhere near being a cut and dried determination.
So the only truly safe option is to have written permission from the copyright owner.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back