How to use AF S TC 17EII on AF VR Nikkor 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6D

neerajgarg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Dear Friends,
I am a wild life photography ammature enthusiast and purchased a AF VR Nikkor 80-400mm 1:4.5-5.6D lens with lots of expectations to shoot great pictures of Birds etc.
This is a fantastic lens for the money i paid for it!!
I want to use it with AF S TC 17EII to extend the range, but it simply does not fit.
I have heard a lot about modifying of TC to fit on many a lenses, but am not sure how to do it.
Can someone please guide me step by step how to do it. (U see, i am a person with limited financial means and do not want to spoil my TC).
It would be great if there is a video somewhere on net to show how to do it...
I shall be thankful.
regards,
Neeraj Garg

It simply can NOT be modified. The rear element of the 80-400, a lens I own BTW, is very far back in the barrel. The front elements of all the Nikon AF-S TC units (TC 14e, TC17, TC20e) are fairly far FORWARD. WHile many telephoto lenses that have the rear element up inside the barrel CAN be fitted to a modified TC14e or TC17e, the 80-400 lens simply can NOT be fitted to a Nikon TC unit.

There is a small piece of metal on the TC unit that prevents NON-AFS lenses from being mounted. However, that is of no importance with the 80-400 VR lens: it simply will NOT mount to a TC14e, TC17e,or 20e. it will however mount to the TC 201 or TC 200, NON-autofocus converters. Both are functionally the same; the TC 200 sells for less money than the TC 201.

I think that the Kenko and Kenko PRO line of 1.4x teleconverters do work with the 80-400 VR lens, since they have recessed front elements.

That lens is not built to accept a Nikon converter. I have read that the Sigma converts fit, go check at your local camera store before buying though.

Even if you can find a converter that fits I still would not recommend shooting that lens with a converter, your aperture on the long end of the lens will go to heck and you completely lose AF.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back