How to use an external flash with Nikon d5100?

rachellebelle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I have a Nikon D5100 and an sb900 flash.

So far I can only make it work on Auto Mode.
I would like to use Manual though I have no idea how to properly expose my shots.

I am very new to flashes and artificial light.

Any advice would be great.

I don't have a D5100 or an SB900 but I've shot Nikon for a couple of decades.
1. You can go into the camera menus and set the flash setting in the camera to "Commander". That means that your popup flash can be set to send signals to your speed light. You'll need to set the camera to "commander mode" and set the speed light to wireless.
2. You'll need to have the popup flash up (in order to communication with the speed light).
3. You'll need to consult your manual but when you adjust the camera flash setting to "commander" you'll have an option to set the popup so it continues to serve as a flash (in addition to being a commander) or only serves as a commander (which means it will send wireless signals but won't provide light for the shot.
4. If you set it to "TTL" that means that the speed light will adjust to the settings you make with the camera.

1. You can go into the camera menus and set the flash setting in the camera to "Commander". That means that your popup flash can be set to send signals to your speed light. You'll need to set the camera to "commander mode" and set the speed light to wireless.
2. You'll need to have the popup flash up (in order to communication with the speed light).
3. You'll need to consult your manual but when you adjust the camera flash setting to "commander" you'll have an option to set the popup so it continues to serve as a flash (in addition to being a commander) or only serves as a commander (which means it will send wireless signals but won't provide light for the shot.
4. If you set it to "TTL" that means that the speed light will adjust to the settings you make with the camera.

As far as I know the D5100 doesn't support the commander mode. Since the OP is new to this, she probably doesn't realize you're talking about using the flash off camera.

The D5100 doesn't have a commander mode.

Look in the user's guide for manual mode - it should be page D-14. That tells you how to get in into manual mode. After that, just Google "Using External Flash" -- there are a number of tutorials online.

Or, since you're shooting digital, you can just pick a power setting, take a shot & see what it looks like, and adjust as needed. Still lifes are good for practice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back