How to Use Old 35 mm cameras

This would be really hard to explain very well in a simple post. Try Michael Langford's Guide to 35mm Photography. Great book and the guy has the same name as I do!

Those are some indepth questions. haha. Lets pick them apart.

1. That post would be to long... Your best bet is to google a manual for it.
2. There are a great deal of amazing old 35mm cameras. They usually were built like tanks. I still use a Pentax MX manual camera. Beautiful 35mm camera, that has a meter in it that is tack on still after all these years. If the camera is in good condition it will work amazing. Just make sure the shutter is working properly, and there are not any light leaks.
3. Films well that all depends on what you want to shoot. Black and white, color, or chromes. Send that info my way and I can help you out. The entire fuji line is great, so is kodak really depends. Do you like saturated colors, high contrast, flat colors, etc.?

Sorry to answer you question with more questions but we need to narrow things down a little. Would be happy to help you out though.

Eventually if you get hooked on film which I am sure you will, you should move up to medium format film. (hasselbad) Thats for another day.

I need to know:

a.) how to use the vintage cameras in my signature

b.) if any of them are any good

c.) what is the best type of 35 mm film

anybody help?

oh and

d.) what kinds of lenses can i use with them, if any?

Best film? Depends on the subject. Kodachrome is, by far, the best film ever made, especially ASA-25. However, it's best used for scenics and "things" - it's really not well-suited for people pictures. It has the added advantage of lasting really long. I have some Kodachrome slides that were exposed forty years ago and they look almost new. I've seen others that are sixty years old and look the same. No other film, positive or negative, will last that long.

Kodachrome-25 is impossible to get. However, B&H still has some K-64 available.

Warning - buy a lot of film and bracket, bracket, bracket. Kodachrome has an exposure tolerance of perhaps +/- a half-stop!

take several shots at different exposure so your more likely to get a good one....i think

Most reactions

New Topics

Back