How to.. with YN-622n Triggers

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
A scenario I encountered and could not figure out. I feel like there is an obvious answer I just haven't realized.

The setup

YN-560 off camera with a 622n trigger (manual only)
MK-910 on top of another 622n trigger on camera set to TTL

How would I disable the on camera flash and keep using the other flash off camera? The flash on camera is using TTL pass through.

It is not on a group (A,B,C) since it is being triggered through the sending transceiver. I tried turning off the flash on the camera and the other flash stopped along with it. The transceiver was still on. I suppose I could have tried putting the flash on S2 since there was no pre flash coming from the manual YN560

But seems there should be a correct way to do this...?

Last edited:
Turn off the flash on camera?
If you have a 622 on the hotshoe and one on the 560 then you shouldnt have problems.

I trigger the 560 through 622s all the time. Not sure what's going on. I keep the flash inM mode.

Yeah triggering isn't the problem. It's selectively choosing not to fire the flash on camera.

I was just wanting to get a silhouette of the couple on the dance floor and not use the on camera flash to fill.

I have my d600 here. SB700 on top of a 622n, YN560 remote with a 622n.

SB700 only works in manual mode, but both trigger. if I turn the SB700 off, my YN560 still works.

Maybe try resetting the trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any luck? I had no issues shooting the remote flash with the on-camera flash on top of the 622n just turned off.

Thank you for checking it helped me figure there has to be some combo for me to do this.

I kept playing with it, if I just turn it off the on camera flash both will stop working. If I turn off the flash, then the turn off and back on the transceiver it starts working as expected. That is with the MK-910 on top.

If I have the YN-560-II on the camera and just turn it off it works as expected and as @Braineack explained.

I also discovered something I didn't realize about the MK-910. When in Master Commander mode, it will itself not shoot TTL. That was another option for me to switch to Master Commander and tell itself not to fire. But for my scenario I was wanting TTL.

My SB600 died at the same event I discovered these problems so I will be looking to get an SB700 likely in the near future. I wish Yongnuo would release the YN-568-II for Nikon with Master Commander mode. It's out already for Canon.

If the sb-600 flashtube died you can always get it replaced/repaired.

I used to have an sb-600. I replaced it with a 700, and since added 2x 800s and a YN-560. the 700s are the best value for features and realiability with the great interface.

The MK-910 must be the variable. My SB700 won't let me work in TTL mode on top of the 622n, it makes me switch it to manual.

If the sb-600 flashtube died you can always get it replaced/repaired.

I used to have an sb-600. I replaced it with a 700, and since added 2x 800s and a YN-560. the 700s are the best value for features and realiability with the great interface.

I do believe it is the flash tube. It powers on and I can hear the electrical click when I press the test button but no flash. It did intermittently fire 3 times while off the camera and checking it out but won't even do that now.

What would happen if it overheated? I was using outside at a wedding after the MK-910 gave the heat warning (it was over a 100f at the event in Phoenix). Popped off maybe 25 flashes with it in a non-abusive way. After moving inside as the wedding party was doing the grand entrance it just wasn't working. I chalked it up to batteries initially. Without thinking about it I went to cover a concert a few days later and found I was without a flash.

The MK-910 must be the variable. My SB700 won't let me work in TTL mode on top of the 622n, it makes me switch it to manual.

Say what? Well I guess I am not going to get an SB700 to remedy my on camera TTL needs. Guess I would rather have TTL and flip off and on the transceiver. I had read the SB800 wouldn't do TTL but never a word about the SB700 not working.

Yeah I'm unsure, but my 622n doesn't seem to pass the TTL through to it. I can play around more today.

Yeah I'm unsure, but my 622n doesn't seem to pass the TTL through to it. I can play around more today.

Mine is tricky with the sb800 but it does pass through ttl to the sb800.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for clarification, are you talking about when in Master Commander mode or at all?

Mine is tricky with the sb800 but it does pass through ttl to the sb800.

My understanding is the SB800 does not work while in Master Commander mode. Can you explain what is tricky, is there an order of operations you go through to make it work?

Most reactions

Back