How was this shot?

Quovadis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Could you guys please give me an idea of how many lights he is using and where?
I see one from the top right, and one behind. Or is his light on top left?
How does he get the right and left bottom corners of the bag illuminated? Are the bottom corners being illuminated only by the reflection off the white plexi glass? Is that even plexi glass?
What lens do you think he is using? Do you think this is continuous light or strobes?
Anything else you can see?

Thanks
Quo

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link.

Last edited by a moderator:
FWIW, I would say the bag was illuminated with a single light high and right, and a small kicker on the background.

not seeing the picture that was attached ...
the answer is in the shadow(s), so check the shadow(s).

just take a purse, and a flashlight, move it around at various heights and locations to visually duplicate the shadow(s). If it's One light, you should be able to easily approx duplicate any shadow(s) though not the size and shape of the light source as easily.

Then use the flashlight to bounce it off of a surface onto a subject, and understand reflection lighting some more.

You may want to reread chapter 5 - Revealing Shape and Coutour in your light, science and magic book.

just the image ==>
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015..._tote_retails_from_260-m-16_1431199753789.jpg

Look at the shadows, and brightness going to darkness.
dark shadows underneath the left and right edges, and the emblem tag clearly show a light from above, and the angle that the light would be at.
You are getting white reflection at the bottom of the bag from light above bouncing off of the pedestal back up to the purse.

Guys.........
started 9 feet away with the 55-200 as per KR suggestions. All of this, with a lack of light. I then joined this forum and many of you helped me.
Bought a few lenses over the past few weeks and tried them.
I think I have finally found my sweet spot it's at 34mm with the 18-55 that came on the camera.
I have a 35mm prime on order. I returned the 50mm prime.
My next investment are strobes. I'm just being super careful before I pull the trigger, and trying to learn as much as possible before spending the money.
I am now very close to the bags at 34mm. I'm shooting at 400 ISO, and yes, Robbins was totally correct about increasing ISO (in my particular case). I'm at f11 which seems perfect for the bags and s 1/60 or thereabouts.
The images require very little sharpening, I'm a happy camper for now...and ready to open a new can of worms with the strobes!!

Strobes ... Perspective distortion ...

I just shot these up close at 35mm. Astro Nikon just warned me about distortion. I know nothing about distortion. Are these pictures suffering from distortion?
I do not understand how to detect "distortion". I know what the word means in English, but do not know how it applies to these bags.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 106
  • 3biso400.jpg
    3biso400.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    460.7 KB · Views: 113
I read up on distortion...it's more what BULGE is in photoshop, a bulge effect coming at us....ummm

For future pictures, you may want to try to smooth the bag over with your hand or somehow get rid of some of the bulges. It looks very lumpy.

Also, the logo on that bag, which I'm assuming is probably the most important part of that bag, is not clearly visible with lots of reflections in it. Just something to consider if you reshoot.

Most reactions

Back