How/where to plan outings with limited time?

RobiSuicide

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I'm a beginner, and looking to take lots of pictures. Problem is between work, and a baby I don't seem to have much time to do-so, and when I do it's difficult to find subjects. I try to take my camera everywhere I go, but sadly I don't go anywhere exciting very often. How do you guys plan your outings? I mainly want to work on nature shots, portraits, and macro photography. Also being relatively poor I'm stuck with my stock 18-55 lens, and on board flash.

How old is the baby? It gets easier as they get older. If baby is under a year I HIGHLY recommend a baby carrier like an ergo or a boba and then you can just drag baby along on your nature hunts without getting in the way and hasseling with a stroller. parks, easy trails, and the zoo are all kid friendly places with many photo opportunities.
Practice on baby! Macro is a little tougher without a telephoto or macro lens, so I would focus on the nature and portriays first.
If all you have is an on camera flash, try to find a way to modify it. You can diffuse it, or rig up something to bounce it off another surface.

You don't necessarily have to go far to find things to photograph- you just have to look a little harder and think

She's 6 months. I've been really wanting to get a carrier as it would make a lot of things much easier. Used to use a sling, but she's already twenty pounds! I've gotten lots of practice with the baby, and got some decent shots, but I haven't had much practice with actually setting up lighting, and mainly use window light. I rarely use flash since I can't point it to bounce off the ceiling, but I've diffused it with toilet paper when I absolutely have to use it.

^With some pink blankets and a teddy inside it might be doable, but I'm not sure the wife would approve.

^With some pink blankets and a teddy inside it might be doable, but I'm not sure the wife would approve.
Always easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission, and if you buy the largest size, you can use it too when she finds out! :lol:

Yes, my limit with ring slings For long wearing is 20-25 lbs too! these are less expensive than the ergos and actually pretty comfortable since you can distribute weight onto both shoulders. Do you know anyone who sees? You can make an onsnaburg wrap pretty cheep also if youre willing to learn how to wrap.
Toysrus

As for the flash- can you try to rig up something similar to this? Lightscoop Deluxe Amazon Camera Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
just leave the kid with the wife.

Most reactions

Back