How would I do this?

DaveAmerica

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
URL%5D
wallimagezc6.jpg

How would I do something like this. This was done with a single photo. I want to use standard frames, not custom. (Ikea frames work great, cheap and good looking). The layout doesn't have to be exactly like that, I just did that for idea reference.

ANY ideas would be great. Thanks.

Wow! What a cool idea!
What kind of frame sizes are we talking?
I think (purely specualtion) you would need a major megapixel camera to be decently blowing up a single photo like that .:confused:

have a good one
3Eo

Is it just me? Or does this look like its Photoshopped? The frames do not look real.

Heh, ya it is photoshoped. I did it so i could see what it would look like.

I have a Nikon D200. So I figure I could blow them up reasonably well. I like the size of the Ikea frames (21 5/8 x 28 1/5) for the middle 2. A larger one I'm not sure of for the top and a 12 3/4 x 35 1/2 for the bottom.

Or maybe I'll just go with 3 - 21 5/8 x 28 1/5, turning one sideways for the top and keeping the bottom frame the same. Thoughts?

I'm struggling to figure out exactly how to cut the image up and send the files to print.

Ah, sorry. I guess I didn't get what you meant in your original post.

Wow! What a cool idea!
What kind of frame sizes are we talking?
I think (purely specualtion) you would need a major megapixel camera to be decently blowing up a single photo like that .:confused:

have a good one
3Eo

Nah. Just get a nice tripod and take lots of exposures and merge them all in to a huge image in PS.

Just do it as a "panoramic":

Mount camera on tripod. Zoom in . Point to base of tree. Take picture. Tilt camera up so you can get portion of first image in second image. Take picture. Do so until you reach apex. Rotate camera to left. Then do the same going back down to base of tree. Then simply stitch together one, two or three shots to make super huge shots in PS. Save, send of to printer. Frame. Done.

Just get a nice tripod and take lots of exposures and merge them all in to a huge image in PS.

Is it possible to do it from a single exposure? Mind you I have nil experience w/PS, but could you cut up a single photo saving each portion as a seperate photo and then take it to a printer and let them do their thing?

have a good one
3Eo

I think you miss-understood the multiple exposure thing. The Exposure Value is constant on each photo. Rather than taking a photo of a tree with a 30mm lens you mount on a telephoto start at the top and take a grid of images. 9 images would give close to 60mpx on a 10mpx camera taking into account blending the boundaries (you need a bit of overlap to do this). I have done this before to make 100+ megapixel images.

A standard 10mpx image will not look all that good to blow up that size. Simply taking a guess at the image there it looks like it will be about 60" high and 40" wide probably larger. For a very good looking print (300ppi) you will need an 18000x12000 or 216 megapixels. You could easily get away with half that resolution for a poster but you'd still need 100megapixles or so to make it very high quality.

Ah, that was something I didn't think about.

So I guess none of the photos I have now will look that great. This idea has to be a bit more planned out when I go out shooting.

Thanks for the tips.

Very cool idea though. I've done stuff like that before for a photo album never thought to put it on a wall.

It's a great idea, please share it with us when it's complete.

I think you could use an existing image, unless you want a highly detailed image - in that case Stair Interpolation won't suffice. (SI = Stair Interpolation = enlarging in small increments).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back