HOW WOULD YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION TO YOUR CLIENTS/POTENTIAL CLIENTS... PLEASE HELP!

I'm not selling them the ink and paper. I am selling them a memory. I mean, I can buy a pair of scissors for $5, but I'm not going to cut my hair with them. I go to the lady that charges me $65 for an hour of her time.... We won't even get into hair color... :lol:

I love that!

"Where do you get your prints from?"

From one of several professional labs that do not sell to the general public. If pressed, I let them know that prints are of a higher quality that what they would get at Walmart, Costco, etc...

"How much do you pay for the prints?"

Well... I didn't sign up for non profit status and it's the image that they are paying for, not the piece of paper. Of course I word it politely but it basically consists of 'Mark up varies by product' Insert big :D here.

I can't keep it a secret as to where my prints come from....I use Zenfolio with the price sheets markup....they don't know my cost, but when they get their prints it comes in a big MPIX box. With any common sense they could go to mpix.com and find the prices out. However, they can either not order the pictures I took of them, or order them and as long as your prices are competitive with your local market, they will have to pay the price for prints whether you shoot the shots or a competitor shoots the shots.

I would never flat out tell them that it costs me .19 a print for a 4x6 or 1.99 for an 8x10....

Oh, and I way undercharge. You guys are charging 10-35 per 4x6? I guess it's my small town market, but I could never get that around here. TO stay with our local market I have to charge about $10 for an 8x10 (town of under 4,000 people though).

I can't keep it a secret as to where my prints come from....I use Zenfolio with the price sheets markup....they don't know my cost, but when they get their prints it comes in a big MPIX box.

Does it really? I was under the impression that drop-shipped stuff come in a box that bears no marking by Mpix. That should hold for zenfolio orders as well, but it might be good to verify. From their page here: Mpix.com - Shipping Information

this:

Let us drop ship your order at no additional charge. All drop shipments feature white label packaging with no reference to Mpix. A packing list will be included that shows the order number and the items included - there is no reference to price.

"How much do you pay for prints"
Answer: I pay with blood, sweat and tears. I start paying about a week before the wedding and finish paying when you are happy.

Not going to win you friends I know, but it's the truth. Say it with a smile on your face.

www.nicholasjamesphotography.co.uk

In reference to my previous reply, I see now that Zenfolio advertises they use MPIX if you use them through ZF. What a bummer.

I've yet to get the question how much, but I was once asked where. My reply was to the tune of many of the previous post: it depends on the need. I do think it's a rather rude thing to ask in some ways (the money, especially), but I understand why some people do. Even with quality work, so people are insecure about the fact that, in their eyes not us professionals, you're making a print that they can just get at Wal-Mart or Walgreens for way cheaper.."Why should I pay you for a print when I paid you to take the pictures already?" A recent blog posts of mine talks about this growing digital culture hence the expectations of people that us professionals must fight against; it's three pages long but I hope people can take the time to read it and chime in with their thoughts.

It's an amazing situation and I agree with you all about asking a chef how much they pay for a steak etc. When someone asks about the price of a print they are really asking about the cost of paper, ink and processing. I have not had this situation but can see how totally frustrating it must be. considering the real costs are paper, ink, processing, investment in equipment (and it's depreciation), time at shoot, time spent in manipulation of image, talent, travel time and fuel costs traveling to shoot, buying lunch, paying an assistant, paying a good proportion in taxes, years of study....am I getting boring yet?

www.nicholasjamesphotography.co.uk

In reference to my previous reply, I see now that Zenfolio advertises they use MPIX if you use them through ZF. What a bummer.
You can set up your Zenfolio so there is no reference to Mpix and Mpix will gladly drop ship your clients orders in non-branded packaging.

If they ask you where you get your prints from, you can just tell them you do the printing yourself (but be ready to have a list of materials you used ready).

They're paying you for both your service and the prints.. so it shouldn't matter what you're paying for the prints. As Jim has said, they're paying you to do something they can not.. it shouldn't matter how much YOU are paying for it. Just don't ever let someone haggle you unless they're reasonable/if it's necessary!

DON'T TELL THEM! But if you must.
Explain that the price is not so much for the print itself, but rather
for the services rendered. The time to shoot, edit and print.
People do not take into consideration the actual hourly rate.
I added it up one time and realized a 10 hour wedding shoot pays over 100 an hour.
But I do not tell them anything unless I absolutely have to.
I have contracts with people who refer me business and the first line of the contract states "At no time will the person named discuss pricing information with potential source of business." People do not realize the actual cost photographer have.

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

Most reactions

New Topics

Back