How would you charge for this?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Breanna, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Breanna

Breanna TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was just sent a referral to do some product shoots for a company who creates and markets medical devices (gauzes, electrodes, tubing, etc).

I don't have any experience with this type of shoot per say, but they are just looking for some basic clean, clear images. I can do that.

Since I don't have the background or examples to give them, how should I charge? I need to give them the rights to the images to use in their marketing and on their website. I want the price to be fair based my my experience (limited) , but I also don't want to completely short-change myself either.

Me = clueless.

2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I would charge time at a flat rate ($50/hour shooting). Do they require the full rights to the image? If that's the case, and you won't be able to use them at all, I would charge something in the range of $250 - $1000 per image, based on the size of the company and exposure of the image. If you will be able to use the images in your portfolio, then I would halve the price per image.

3. craig

craig TPF Noob!

TiredIron hit the nail on the head. I would also add make sure that every single detail is worked out before the work begins. Make sure that you charge enough to make a profit.

Love & Bass

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

I would encourage the clinet to provide all products at once to get the best pricing. I charge about $1200/day, but the client will be condisering a "per shot" cost. With that in mind, I explain the first shot will cost be in the range of $250 — $325, depending on set-up. Then, products of similar size and type (ones that I can easily swap out of the scene without major lighting changes) will be in the $100 range. So if they have 10 shots for me, and I can finish in a day, I'm right where I want to be.

If they have a ongoing need for photography, I'll indicate they will get better pricing. This is the kind of client I really want, so I'll help them save wherever I can in hopes of getting a steady flow of work thoughout the year.

I don't go to bat for usage rights. I tell them they can use the images wherever and as often as they like. Much of this sort of work is perishable, as products/logos get updated and new products are added, so the photos are "retired" fairly quickly anyway. I do retain the right to use anything I shoot for self promotion. It's never been a problem.

As you build a relationship with the client, they will come to count on you for help preparing the same photos for additional applications. Keeping track of and preparing images can be rough for the client. So, for instance, when they need some prints for a trade show, they will come to you for that too, generating additional sales for you.

I hope this helps.

-Pete

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  5. Breanna

Breanna TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great advice, thank you. I'm meeting with them on Monday to go over details.

Again, I've never done anything quite like this before. People are more of "my thing". I have a full time job with a magazine (I don't do photography) and the medical device business is in our office building and I've met the owner on many occassions.

I visited their website yesterday and all of their product images are currently red x's...yikes. They are in serious need.

I'll be honest, I'm fairly nervous about putting a dollar amount out there. I need to get over that fear though if I want to be any type of successful with a photography business. The professional photographers that I admire most comand a high price and it WORKS. I don't ever want to de-value my time and talent.

I'll let you know how it goes.

6. Breanna

Breanna TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Meeting went very well. They seem to like my work. They have literally DOZENS of items that they need images of. From the sounds of it, this will be an ongoing gig over a period of several months. Basically, a very part time staff photography gig. I quoted them $55/hour. Most of their products are of the clear tubing nature, so I will need to play with light and may have depth of field issues to work around, but I'm confident that I can work it out. I will be doing the work at home in my freshly created Macro Box. They gave me 3 items to take home to do test shots so that I can give them an estimate as to how long each product will take me to shoot. I explained that the first few will take a while, but each subsequent item will be faster.

This feels somewhat over my head, but I know that I can make it work and I'm excited! I may need to invest in a Macro lens though, if this is something that I'm going to be doing consistently.

7. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A macro lens will probably be a good investment, and with a couple days of work your investment will be paid for, so I would go for it. Having the right gear for the job always makes tings easier. Even if a job is not something you do ofter, as long as you know you can do it well, show nothing but confidence to your client, it really makes everyone at ease if they feel they are in competent hands.