How would you light this?

dataz722

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was approached earlier today to photograph a small conference and awards ceremony. I asked to see what they had from last year so I could see what they were looking for and if it was something that I would have the equipment to handle. After looking at everything I am pretty sure I am going to decline because they are going to need some very large group shots that I just don't think my speedlights would be able to handle. Just out of curiosity though, how would you all go about lighting a shot like this?

http://www.psea.org/uploadedImages/Teacher/NBCT3.jpg

Last edited:
well on a D90, set an ISO of 200 or 400, at 18mm f/8 should have plenty of DOF, and have two monolights that are at least 600w/s each just nuking the ceiling if it's white.

I assisted at a sales meeting for a shoe company where the group shots had like 100 people in them and that's how we did it.

Looks like bracket shooting (spot meter off the center row of people and shoot -/M/+), then stitching together the two maybe three photos in post- quick and easy.

Well... that is how I would do it.

p!nK

With out a better look at the situation:

I would use 6 speedlights, 2 - 13' light stands, 2 - 10' light stands, 2 - 8' light stands, 2 snoots, and 4 60" umbrellas.

I would make absolutely certain the camera was level and the lens axis was 10 feet above the floor.

Is the shoot for pay?

A classic large group method would be to light it with one bare-bulb flash from a very high elevation. That will send the shadows down and behind each person. The flash head must be very high up. Using one,single flash head eliminates a whole host of problems that could go wrong when aiming multiple flashes.

Check out this web page for a full explanation, with diagram.
flat_reflectors

A classic large group method would be to light it with one bare-bulb flash from a very high elevation. That will send the shadows down and behind each person. The flash head must be very high up. Using one,single flash head eliminates a whole host of problems that could go wrong when aiming multiple flashes.

flat_reflectors

+1

Not that I've ever used the technique but it makes plenty of sense and it would be easy to set up.

flat_reflectors

:thumbup: +1

If you don't have a strobe heads that will allow for for good bare bulb shooting then you might want to consider PLM. (Parabolic Light Modification)

Here is a good looking system from Alien Bees.

well on a D90, set an ISO of 200 or 400, at 18mm f/8 should have plenty of DOF, and have two monolights that are at least 600w/s each just nuking the ceiling if it's white.

I assisted at a sales meeting for a shoe company where the group shots had like 100 people in them and that's how we did it.

I had thought about that but I have no clue how high that ceiling there is.

With out a better look at the situation:

I would use 6 speedlights, 2 - 13' light stands, 2 - 10' light stands, 2 - 8' light stands, 2 snoots, and 4 60" umbrellas.

I would make absolutely certain the camera was level and the lens axis was 10 feet above the floor.

Is the shoot for pay?

Yeah, I am getting payed for it so I can rent some stuff if need be but can't spend much on it.

flat_reflectors

:thumbup: +1

If you don't have a strobe heads that will allow for for good bare bulb shooting then you might want to consider PLM. (Parabolic Light Modification)

Here is a good looking system from Alien Bees.

I have read a little about those but I guess it is time to do some more. Thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back