How Would You Set Your Wedding Photo Prices for ... Your Boss?

astrostu

I shoot for the stars
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know there are a jillion wedding photo pricing threads, including one of my own, but I'm hoping that this one is slightly different enough to at least garner a few helpful responses.

Anyway, I'm a grad student, 5th year, been working with my advisor since 2007. I'm in astronomy -- photography is just a hobby. He knows I've shot one wedding on my own and has seen the photos. He also knows I did that one for free. He's getting married this Sept. and he asked me around October last year - just after I got back and was swearing I would never do another wedding for free - if I would shoot his. I told him yes, but that I would charge him.

Fast-forward to now, and I'm meeting with him and the bride-to-be hopefully the first weekend of April to go over a contract, discuss what coverage they want, get the important names, dates, places, etc. And figure out a price.

My question is, should the fact that I have relatively little experience (which he KNOWS, as I have asked him and the fiancé four times to make sure they're okay with going with me) AND ESPECIALLY that he's effectively my boss have any bearing on what I charge him?

I'm going to extend my psychic powers and guess that the answer will be "no" for the latter part, but then the question moves to, what do I offer him as a wedding present? One thing I was considering doing is that everyone said my pricing structure needed to be ratcheted up by at least a factor of 2, so that the "Basic" package of just covering 2 hrs of ceremony plus formals starts at $600. So I thought I could do that, but then knock off 25% or 50% and say that's the present.

Another option I was thinking about is to double the prices based on what folks said in my original thread, including beefing up the prices on prints, but then offer them something like $200 in print credit (effectively $40 in costs). That has the benefit of not having to collect more money 6 months after the event and them not thinking as much about me jacking up my print prices since he knows where I get them printed.

So ... what do y'all think?

I think your psychic powers are spot on.

As far as a wedding gift? A nicely framed landscape photograph.

From my reading of your original thread, this thread, my own thread, and some other threads:

I think you should double your prices as has been advised, and then give him a print credit as a wedding gift. He's well aware that you're inexperienced but obviously likes your work. He's your boss, but his fiance is his boss and that's really who you're working for. I would be careful about not effing it up since he's your boss but I wouldn't give him a huge "deal".

Just my two cents!
-Dave

Most reactions

New Topics

Back