How would you spend $1500, with no previous equipment?

BTilson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Let's say you were just given $1500 cash to spend on photography equipment, but that you currently do not even own a camera. What would you buy? I am currently looking at either the Canon 40D/50D or the Nikon D90, either with a nice all around lens to start with.

Any other ideas?

If you like nice fast primes: CANON
If you like the option to have the choice of pro glass in f/2.8 or f/4: CANON
If you like wide zooms: NIKON
Nikon also has a better flash system in terms of getting control of off camera hotshoe flashes.

I just have to jump in and say that why not just answer the OP's original question and simply say what you would do with $1500. There is really no sense in saying 'if you want fast primes go canon' because Nikon makes some AMAZING blazing fast primes. Also, canon makes some AMAZING zoom lenses, and plenty of people use them for off camera strobist techniques. It's all about personal preference, and think that is what the OP's question was leaning towards.

So, If I had $1500 and no other equipment, I would probably get the D90 and the AF-S 50mm f1.4G. Yea, I know this is the set up I have, but I didn't just get this right off the bat. I first got a D60 with the kit lens, and then the 55-200mm VR, and ended up selling it all for the D90, after I had purchased the 50mm...i kept that. Anyway, if I went canon with that amount of money, I would get the 50D and a 50mm 1.8.

:eek:)

I just have to jump in and say that why not just answer the OP's original question and simply say what you would do with $1500. There is really no sense in saying 'if you want fast primes go canon' because Nikon makes some AMAZING blazing fast primes. Also, canon makes some AMAZING zoom lenses, and plenty of people use them for off camera strobist techniques. It's all about personal preference, and think that is what the OP's question was leaning towards.

So, If I had $1500 and no other equipment, I would probably get the D90 and the AF-S 50mm f1.4G. Yea, I know this is the set up I have, but I didn't just get this right off the bat. I first got a D60 with the kit lens, and then the 55-200mm VR, and ended up selling it all for the D90, after I had purchased the 50mm...i kept that. Anyway, if I went canon with that amount of money, I would get the 50D and a 50mm 1.8.

:eek:)

LOL, cause these questions are crazy, "spend my money for me". Its impossible to answer correctly. Look at the whole system. Canon's prime lens lineup is unmatched by Nikon. Nikons wide zoom is untouchable.

So yeah, go ahead and recommend a D90.......and what blazing fast primes? 1.4 or 1.8? Where is the 50 1.2 and 85 1.2?

I am not starting a pissing match here. I gave a few quick positives of both systems. Looks to me like you didn't like the prime lens comment. Sorry, it is what it is.

Last edited:
D90, why? Because it's what I have and I like it :D

Let's see... for $1500 you could get the D90 with 18-105 VR lens and a 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8 lens.

That's a darn fine start if you ask me.

That said, I have 0 experience with Canon so I really can't comment on those with any real knowledge. Might be best to physically hold the ones you are interested in and see if that sways you one way or the other.

Last edited:
D90 body - 974
Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Nikon SB-600

That was actually really, really easy. You can do just about anything short of wildlife shooting with that setup. I'd probably have to buy the Tamron used to afford the SB-600...but it would be worth it for the off camera lighting capabilities.

I think it would depend on your experience with film. Considering your equipment, I hope it is fairly extensive.

I've only had my DSLR for a few months and I'm not sure I will keep it. So I'm glad I found a 30D when the stores were trying to get rid of them and didn't spend a whole lot on it.

Digital photo is a very different animal and I'm not sure yet that I like it as much as film work. Maybe you won't either.

Then again, I am not trying to make a living with my cameras anymore and that skews the way I look at things, I am sure.

Well I have extensive experience with both film and digital SLR's. I had a D40 kit pretty fleshed out, but had to sell it a while back when I was REALLY hard up for money. Now it's looking like I MIGHT have a nice lump of change coming my way soon, so since I am no longer tied to a specific system, I figured I'd throw this out there and see what people would start with from the ground up.

And by the way, I'm not saying "Spend my money for me." I am instead saying "How would you spend this money on YOURSELF?" I am basically just looking for ideas.

Thanks for all the replies!

Well I have extensive experience with both film and digital SLR's. I had a D40 kit pretty fleshed out, but had to sell it a while back when I was REALLY hard up for money. Now it's looking like I MIGHT have a nice lump of change coming my way soon, so since I am no longer tied to a specific system, I figured I'd throw this out there and see what people would start with from the ground up.

And by the way, I'm not saying "Spend my money for me." I am instead saying "How would you spend this money on YOURSELF?" I am basically just looking for ideas.

Thanks for all the replies!

Well, it's not a direct answer, but if you had to sell your gear previously because of money issues....then I would recommend a D70s with 50mm f1.8 (400-500ish) and $1000 into savings so that if something happens again, you are a little "safer" financially and won't have to sell what gear you DO have.

"How would you spend this money on YOURSELF?"

With a $1500 budget, I would go with a D90 (actually just got one - LOVE IT!) with the 18-105VR kit lens and an SB 600. Even though I love my 35 f/1.8, if I were to only have 1 lens the 18-105 is a very good lens for the money. And with the SB 600, it is more flexible than the primes (there's some chum in the water....:mrgreen:).

A 1500.00 to start over ~ Hummm thats tuff.

Film Body ; 50 1.8 ; Good quality neg scanner

The rest spend on lights.

Work a few jobs and get more equipment.

Knowing what little I know now and had to start over........

Get a used body, maybe a D70, an SB-600 flash and the rest in top glass, probably primes. If you have to have a zoom, suggest to not go down the road of variable apeture... f/2.8 or do without.

@Montana - Nikkor 85mm f/1.4 is ~$1200... f/1.2 doesn't exist in Nikkorland.

Most reactions

Back